12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

need help plz tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help plz tranny issue

i cant figure it out, the tranny overheats when idling and at a stop light if it sits for like ten minutes the temp skyrockets, but when im moving shes runs around 100 degrees i thought the gauge was bad but its working fine some is wrong in the tranny none of the tranny shops will give me any suggestions and the one i had the work done at they wont return my phone calls i need some help i use it to haul coal for heat in the winter time

Old 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

from my understanding... if its an auto.. they all do that... the trannys tryin to make the truck go foward and when you have your foot on the brake its not good for it.... think of it like on fan blowing air to another fan... the second fan is gonna spin to.. thats a really simplified version of an auto... n if ur holdin the brake in drive the first fan keeps tryin to turn the second fan... to help with this problem... if youre gonna sit for more then a minute... put it into neutral or park.... thats wut my "master" auto mechanic teacher told me... so dont shoot the messenger if im wrong hahah

Old 09-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i think thats a good explanation torque converters for dumies style

Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

yeh i thought so myself

Last edited by wisconsin redneck; 09-20-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot the t in thought
Old 09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks for the info, and its a auto , but it does it in park and neutral the only way it dont do it is to shut the truck off and let it cool down, or when im moving once the temp reaches 180 degrees it dont move it just sits and revs but i have never let it over 200 degrees and the sensor is in the tranny pan its always had the bd converter in it but i installed the bd valve body after i was having problems and the tranny shop i had it to told me it would help and told me to take both tranny coolers out and put one big one in and a fan on it. but guess what it didnt help, and like i said they wont return my phone calls

Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Diesel Bomber

your pump may be shot

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i had figured it was that, but some of the ones i have seen go bad make whining noises ,but no noises. or my converter went bad, cause when i hit full boost it slips but other then that it shifts like a champ good and strong no laging overdrive works like its suppose to i got a lock up switch but i hardy use it

Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Diesel Bomber

could also be a plug in the system but i dont know alot about what these trannies do when they go bad i know they go bang when they go bad in the worst ways though

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea i know a buddy of mine had a 96 1500 gasser go out on him with a bang and the fluid turned black as night. its hard to find good help theses days,im a mechanic i can work on gassers all day long,but diesels and transmission i have only basic knowledge.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chances are pretty good its either a a pump or b you need to clean the tranny cooler out they get dirty and clog up like an air filter. Try pressure washing the cooler first its the small radiator right in the front of the intercoller if that doesn't work have the entire trans hot flushed its a bit pricy but worth it change the trans filter and see what it does if it still overheats then I'm almost 99% possitive its the trans pump they don't go bad that often but they do. Now if its overheating in park or any other gear I'm inclined to say it is the pump but try the afore mentioned first and see what happens

Quick Reply: need help plz tranny issue