12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Smoke screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoke screw

I'm trying to get my truck to blow black smoke and I don't want to slide the plate yet. So where is the smoke screw and will that work?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no such thing as a smoke screw for a 2nd gen only first gens

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 AM
N.M. Bombers Director
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

first of all gauges gauges gauges. secondly bomb for power not smoke. smoke is just unburned fuel which equates to more heat and lower MPGs and a bad name for diesel owners. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to black out the freeway when some jerk pisses me off but just turning up the pump without the mods is just a waste of money and fuel

If your going to even mess with the AFC do it right and get a plate and get it tuned. Once you do that you'll have plenty of smoke but you'll be gettin extra power as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

definatly agree

Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah but right now i just ont have the money and messing with the truck is the only thing helping me keep my sanity. my lady is driving me crazy and we are spliting up and i cant afford to buy anything for the truck but i want to play around with it. i dont want to do too much till i an afford the pyro atleast. i want to get as much power as possible but i cant afford to do it right now. just wanted the truck to blow a little more.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and aboput the snoke screw the other thread they were talking about it and i was wondering if it was on the p7100 and if it would halp me in my situation

Last edited by 12.valve.hauler; 09-15-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM
N.M. Bombers Director
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

sorry to hear that. but your better off waiting for a pyrometer in the long run though... what happens if you do bump up the fuel a little and you do fry a piston or something worse, then your out a couple Gs when that all could of been prevented if you just waited and got the pyrometer.

None of us are stopping you but we're going to tell you the right way to go about it. I learned this lesson the hard way when I blew my head off because I didn't have the money for studs. It ended up costing 2100 to get my truck back together and then the 500 for studs. Just think what someone could do with 2100...

Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah i hear ya man. appriciate the wisdom i was just wondering if yall knew a way to tinker with it safely without the pyro. but i guess ill just wait. thanks yall

Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, you are perfectly fine playing with your truck before you get guages. YES i have guages, before anyone calls me out on it. check this out - Pump Mod's - Diesel Truck Resource - Wiki
play around with it a little bit, if you wanna try to get some smoke go ahead, but realize that you'll hit your limitations very quickly without guages. also remember, adding more fuel without doing it correctly will maybe give you some more black smoke, but can also cause a loss of power and performance. because just adding fuel without adding the other coponents won't work. i say go ahead and try to play with it to your limitations. why not tinker.... i mean it's what were all doing on here with our trucks anyways. just some have more money to do it better and differently than others

Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

everyone i have talked to say that the p-pump dosent hae a smoke screw but there again in reading like that it says i does have a smoke screw. you need to post that as a new thred so people can see it does have a smoke screw. by the way thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Smoke screw