12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

over speed hx35

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default over speed hx35

How do you tell if you've over spun an hx35. My boost will cut off and drop to 0 after I hit 20 pounds I'm lost I got no leaks and my wastegates blocked

Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Is this accompanied by a crap load of smoke when it does this or not?

Your wastegate could be blowing open and possibly sticking there. Try using a peice of wire or other means to hold the arm closed and see what happens.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah its blowin an assload. The wastegate actuator is adjusted all the way to keep it from possibly opening I can't figure it out

Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

When you over speed a charger bad you will know.....

The boost gauge will swing hard going up....then you will hear a sickening "POP" and nothing but white smoke rolling out of the tailpipe.Thats when you know that overspeed has snapped the shaft and junked your charger.

Its about that time you hang your head and quietly mutter some obscenities to yourself for what you know its going to cost to get another charger and you also are hoping no other damage accompanies it.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

overspinning a turbo can cause it to quit pushing air? never heard of it or never been tought about it... only thing i know about over spinning is they don't last long b4 they grenade... try unhooking the supply line to the wastegate and cap it off... should do the same thing as the wire trick minus the standing on your head trying to rig it up. but kazairl sounds like he's onto something... listen for the whistle too... if it quits the whistle it may just be the turbo isnt being spooled anymore (wastegate WFO) just some quick and easy tests. another idea... how restrictive is the intake to the turbo? could be sucking something in the intake shut... the factory intake has those ribs for a reason not just flexibility. if the filter is pretty well clogged it could be pulling the tube shut... i'd do it to the mack in the live engines room at school when i was bored... they used a soft hose; once you close it about half way the engine takes care of the rest and sucks it all but all the way shut

Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I got a custom made alum intake tube and a bhaf. Like I said unless the waste gate broke off completley there's no way in hell it will open the charger still whistles hard and there's know shaft play. I haven't hear a pop or any other noise to speak of it just builds 20 pounds then the truck seems like the brakes come on and the pressure drops to 0

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

well if you popped the turbo you'd know... it wouldnt even begine to spool ontop of burning insane amounts of oil and obvious charger dammage... turbo is fine other than the odd boost drop... if you let off the throttle for a second or two then get back into it does it climb to 20 and do the same thing again?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes it does also it used to push about 7 pounds when I'm cruisin at 70 now its only pushin 2pounds

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

i'm just trying to figure out why 20 psi... all boost related controls should be inoperable at this point... other than the wastegate; but if you have the boost canister bottomed out and the rod turned all the way in to hold the lever shut in this postion.... then idk. anyone else got something to throw out there as a possibility? what about a faulty sensor for your exhaust brake brake? it may be choking you out

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

unplug it or w/e you gotta do to make it inoperable...

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 08-25-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I took my brake completley off changed back to the stock elbow and it still does it

Quick Reply: over speed hx35