12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

doubts after sligth tunning

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doubts after sligth tunning

i have a 97 ext cab long bet 2wd 5speed 5.9 12 v, this its the second diesel i own and the first i bomb (i am mechanically inclined and have good experience repairing and overhouling gassers and modifying 4x4's

also have in my back yard most of the tools a decent shop could have

before the modification the truck pulls great but defuel hard after 2200 rpm and i couldnt go over 70 or 75 Mph but if i push more the pedal it bill bog instead of continue going up

seeing the pictures and reading a lot i decide i need to bomb my injection pump

which is a p7100 215 hp set at 13.5 degrees

in order to make a little more "happy" my engine i have grinded the stock fuel plate like a 100 fuel plate profile

i have leave the fuel plate in te same position it was before i switched the afc diaphragm(SP?) washers and grounded down a bit the barrel , and have added 2 thin washers between the pin and the diaphragm

i am very pleased with the result of this sligth mods the truck now pulls great till 2900-3000

i know i need to have tuned my AFC , star wheel its barely contacting the spring (it come that way i didnt have messing with it yet)

it do some decent smoke before the turbo spool and the smoke clear completly after the pressure has been built up , i think this mean the pump its not overfueling since smoke clears am i rigth ?

i am waiting for gauges i have ordered (down here in mexico its amos imposible to find any i just found a isspro without the termocouple and they whant to charge me 220 dlls just for the gauge)

so i decide to order them and i will pick in 2 weeks in dallas (where my father live) then put on the truck to see how are my egts and boost presure

then i could may be move forward the fuel plate

since i get the truck i have to press a little the acelerator in order to start the truck sometimes when hot
start without pressing it but to make things easier i allways press a bit ,
starter has been rebuilt 2 months ago (new brushes and plunger and contacts)

the doubt here its since im able to get almost to 3k without problem and i have starting problems ,
how could i know if the previous owner have changed governor springs
if he would only thigten the governor springs i would have a stick out greater than .52 rigth?

ill going to order a GS3k but i have holding the order until i could figure it out what do i have on my injection pump

anyone know what would be the numbers we could spect with this little mods ?

P.S after the mods my clutch start to slip a little so i have replaced the pressure plate and disk with new ones lbecuase they where in really bad shape
i have had the flywell resurfaced i hope the stock clutch hold the added power , i use the truck as daily driver and ocasionaly i tow my middle modified 4x4 behind it

if not hold i will have to pony up for a Valair or Southbend but i need to know what would be the best a single disc feramic/organic or a double disk??

should i change the timing on my pump (what would be a safe timing ? i was tinking 15.5 )

i would like to push the cummins to perform good and have a quick truck but trying to not hurt completly the economy

aftermarket DV's and injectors are out of the sigth by now ,

planning to do direct exhaust and put a BAFH

Attached Thumbnails doubts after sligth tunning-erhplateprofiles0ny.jpg  

Last edited by MCgiver4x4; 08-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.