12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

egts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default egts

i just got done installing my new hx35/40 hybrid turbo, 60lb valve springs and 4k kit.
i have boost leaks at like every boot and instake manifold gasket. and i can still surprisingly hit 40 psi. so i know now im gunna need to put my banks big acuator back on.
but what im really dissapointed about are egts. everyone said that new hybrid turbo would cool the truck down. i think i still runs just as hot. but i also slid my plate forward while i put the new stuff in. would that affect it? and now my truck doesnt want to return to idle sometimes fastlike it should. like it hangs up a bit. any ideas? im also looking into timing
let me know how to cool this thing down and get it idling right! thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

well yeah sliding the plate is probably gonna diminish the effects of slightly bigger turbo...and with the idle hang that almost sounds to me like the rack is hanging up on fuel plate...did you grind the plate or buy it.... still sounds to me like the rack might be sticking.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

did you adjust the idle after the gov springs? also check your plate also

Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

make sure that the throttle linkage is perfectly in line with the 2 pivot ***** if its not it will hang up there

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stkdram55
well yeah sliding the plate is probably gonna diminish the effects of slightly bigger turbo...and with the idle hang that almost sounds to me like the rack is hanging up on fuel plate...did you grind the plate or buy it.... still sounds to me like the rack might be sticking.
X2 on sliding the plate forward. I am running BD SuperB turbo, DDP stage 2 75HP injectors and a #10 plate set at .295" from full forward and my AFC is not set full forward. Pulling my 20ft stock trailer @ 65mph on flat ground I'm running around 800 degrees pre turbo on the exhaust and boost is about 3.5 to 4 psi. The idle problem I would try to adjust the idle but if that doesn't work I would re-check the stud pretrusion of the stud ( approx .050") on the gov. You could have set one side or both sides to tight. The nut slot should be facing the same direction or the same orientation on both sides of the gov. How many clicks did you count when setting the tension of the gov springs?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

when i replace them i go 3 clicks on both sides

Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Diesel Bomber

i measured .052 inches on each side of the governor studs with a caliper like the directions said. heres the wierd part. when i first started my truck it was idling at like 1000 rpms. the directions said that was normal and you just need to turn it down. but after i drove it around for a while it went back to idling at about 850 like it normally did. idk why it did it by itself. and yes i bought my own #10 plate and its slid all the way forward as the afc housing is to. how would i check the rack plug? the linkage is moving freely on the pump. im gunna drive it to work tommrow and see how she runs.
any more help is appreciated

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

2 pivet *****? the ones that the black rod connects?

Last edited by dan33klein; 07-26-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan33klein
i measured .052 inches on each side of the governor studs with a caliper like the directions said. heres the wierd part. when i first started my truck it was idling at like 1000 rpms. the directions said that was normal and you just need to turn it down. but after i drove it around for a while it went back to idling at about 850 like it normally did. idk why it did it by itself. and yes i bought my own #10 plate and its slid all the way forward as the afc housing is to. how would i check the rack plug? the linkage is moving freely on the pump. im gunna drive it to work tommrow and see how she runs.
any more help is appreciated

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

2 pivet *****? the ones that the black rod connects?
To lower the EGT's back the plate offfrom full forward. Again for me I have my plate set at .295" from being full forward which is about 7.5mm and check where the governor arm is touching the fuel plate. Next back the AFC from full forward and adjust the star wheel as needed. This adjustment will help low boost fueling which helps control smoke, again this is my truck settings and works great for me. The tension on my Governor springs is 1 initial click, a very soft clock, then 3 more clicks. The first click is some what hard to notice but once you feel it you won't forget what to feel for. Did you all the shims removed from both sides? Did you remove the idle spring shims? IF you removed the Idle spring shims you might need to put them back in. I removed mine but adjusting the idle was very touchy liked to be at 850 rpms, after putting the idle spring shims back in the idle adjustability was back to normal now idle is 950 no A/C 900 with A/C. If this doesn't work try removing the smallest spring, going to be a 3k setup, and see how things work for a comparison.

No one tells a person how the throttle will re-act after changing the gov springs. Too tight very touchy throttle, idle changes, off idle fueling changes alot of things change.

Last edited by relay93; 07-27-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Diesel Bomber

thanks alot im gunna have to look into some things

Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same turbo,#100 plate full foreward,barrel ground,washer flip,ect.on flat ground empty pre-boost at 55mph,i run about 6-700*if that gives you a reference point

Quick Reply: egts