12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

NV4500 Stuck in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NV4500 Stuck in 5th

I took my truck to a guy awhile back and had my trans freshened up. couple new syncros and couple other things. Bout a week and a half after i got it back i noticed it was hanging up coming out of 5th. It came and went and a couple days later it slipped off the shift fork and stayed in 5th. took it back he fixed it at no cost. Now 8 months later it's done it again.. I know I can take it apart and pull it out of gear put the cover back on and it'll shift, But if i'm gonna do the work of pulling the tranny i'd like to fix the problem of it hanging coming out of gear. I NEVER had any problem with the tranny hangin up before i took it to him. He did put new syncros it 3rd and 5th. 3rd has no problem tho.. Any ideas about what might be causing this?? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What oil did you use in in it? I am about to post about nv4500 oil and have been reading only a couple types work.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

My dads truck did this also. The detents on the 5th gear synchro were hanging up. We pulled the tail housing off and pulled the synchro off and put it back together and it worked fine.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

detents? What is this? I've never tore into a transmission before.. But due to funds it looks like i'm going to have to learn.. LOL If I take the back housing off Is there a way to get the tranny in neutral without Taking the tranny all the way out? As I don't have a transmission jack, and the nv4500's arent exactly light.. Also you said you pulled the syncro off, did you just take it off and leave it off?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Bump. Any ideas?

Last edited by tyrel_44; 07-16-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry. I'm on a road trip.

The detents are spring loaded. They look like a little rectangular piece with ridges on them. There are 3. The shift collar slides over these detents and they help lock the collar in place. Sometimes they can bind up preventing the collar from moving.

5th gear is located in the tail shaft housing of the transmission so you don't have to take the tranny out to work on it. If you pull the transfer case off then you can pull the tailshaft housing off the transmission.

To get the tranny in neutral you could either pull the shifter and use a pry bar to shift it back into neutral or after you get the tail housing off you could take the snap ring off that holds the 5th gear on the countershaft off. Then you can take the synchronizer clutch ring off. You should be able to see the detents(the FSM calls them synchronizer struts) With a little fandangling with a screwdriver you should be able to get the collar to free up and you should be able to shift it into neutral. Failing in that you could drive the 2 roll pins that hold the shift fork to the rail and pull the whole thing off and set it on the bench and then the tranny should shift into neutral. (If the 5th gear struts are indeed the problem. If not then you going to have to either drop the tranny or cut up your floor to pull the top cover off and see what is wrong)

Having said all that, Personally, I would take it back to the guy who did the tranny and tell him to fix the damn thing right. It didn't have a problem before he worked on it so he should fix it like he should have done in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
tyrel_44 (07-16-2009)
Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed take it back to him again cause its the same problem he fixed before if it does it again then take it to another tranny shop and give him the bill thats warranty stuff man

The following users liked this post:
tyrel_44 (07-16-2009)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ya I called him and talked to him about it he said he'd do it for what ever the parts cost.. I guess that's better than nothin at all.. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:02 PM

Did you ever find out what was wrong with it?

Mine's doing the same thing. Same deal, trans shop rebuilt it in March for the previous owner, I got it, first it was jumping out of 5th gear, now it's stuck in 5th. They wouldn't work on it, but suggested the shift tower was the problem, rebuilt the shift tower, issue still remains.

Somebody mentioned the oil, I don't think they had the right oil in it - could this do it?

Also the shift struts seem a bit worn, and burred up on the end. When I rebuilt the top cover, II also noticed the springs were worn... I've ordered the struts and springs for 5th gear, so hopefully that will fix it, but I'm curious what the guy did to fix yours?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The shaft that the shift fork rides on wears against the case, once worn it sideloads against the case and causes it to hang in fifth gear. If it jumps out of fifth gear replace the bearing the main fifth gear on the countershaft rides on.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 AM

all bearings were replaced prior to the 5th gear problem.

the shift shaft wear issue, does it wear the shaft or the case? Is replacing the shaft a fix for this? I put it back together with 2 shift struts, and it works fine. (lost the spring for the third, I've got it on order).

Quick Reply: NV4500 Stuck in 5th