12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

how do i pull the 5speed leather boot off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default how do i pull the 5speed leather boot off?

i cant get the leather boot cover off the stick shift and the 4x4 stick, i took all the phillips head screws out and tried prying up on it hard but no luck...what am i missing here?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember correctly, you have to push down at the base of the shifter and twist. I think we used a large wrench to do it and it pops out.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i am officialy to tired to work on that truck,,,,i got the transfer case off and the 4x4 case adapeter off. I am breaking it down to fix an anoying gear oil drip, is there anything i should do to the 5th gear while ive got it in plane view? like retorque or put locktight on it or anything to keep it from coming loose later on down the road?

for anyone elses referance after you take the phillips head screws off you have to slide the leather cover up out of the way and there is a bunch of 8mm screws you have to take loose.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

once you get the first boot off you have to pull the secound also. when you see the top there is a retaining nut holding the shifter in. use 2 realy big screw drivers to push down and twist that nut it should pop right out because its spring loaded. watch out, i got bit by mine 2 when i did it the first time

Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaybuller
i am officialy to tired to work on that truck,,,,i got the transfer case off and the 4x4 case adapeter off. I am breaking it down to fix an anoying gear oil drip, is there anything i should do to the 5th gear while ive got it in plane view? like retorque or put locktight on it or anything to keep it from coming loose later on down the road?
for anyone elses referance after you take the phillips head screws off you have to slide the leather cover up out of the way and there is a bunch of 8mm screws you have to take loose.
Check to see if it has atleast an updated 5th gear nut. It should have some set screws in the nut to help keep it from backing off. I would install one if it doesn't have it already.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well no set screws at all. Where would i get one with set screws?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

btw what about drillin through the nut and just like a 1/8 " into the shaft and tappin it and puttin a set screw in mine? has this been done?

Last edited by jaybuller; 07-16-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I can get you a new nut. I will pM you with the info.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i just borrowed the tools from the shop down the road and checked the torque, it was only around 120ftlbs. so i took it off and put the high temp locktight on it and got about 165lbs on the torque wrench, could have got more but didnt have the room to realy get the power on it. Nothing was loose or damaged any where no sighns of wear on any gears that i could see. SO i think it will be fine like that as i dont tow heavy or race it in 5th gear. But any ways i got here all back together with new sealant hopefully she wont leak from the top cover cause thats the only thing i didnt reseal. BTW how would one go about getting the top cover off? with the tranns in the truck? just in case it is leaking there? Also i would like to add the new amsoil to the tranny through the shifter hole but i cant get the dang shifter out? how would i go about getting the shifter out of the top of the tranny?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

To remove the shifter if I remember correctly, remove the boot, use a large wrench and push down on the shifter detent and twist and it should pop out. And on the 5th gear nut, it might be ok, but usually even lock tight alone won't keep them from walking. I don't think you can remove the shifter cover completely off with the trans in the truck. But you might be able to lift it up enough to get some sealent in there and reassemble it.