12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Turning my exhaust manifold 180 degree

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning my exhaust manifold 180 degree

Im cleaning up my motor for the Dodge and have decided to flip my exhaust manifold 180 so that my turbo sits on top of it, rather than hang, I'm going to make a fiberglass scoop and stack the exhaust right out of the hood. Question is, will the stock oil pump send enough oil to the turbo for lube or do I need to upgrade?

Attached Thumbnails Turning my exhaust manifold 180 degree-diesel-engine-006.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

yes but the line may not be long enough many people have the charger on top becuase thats what it takes to run twins

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dot law says the exhuast must exit behind the cab and cannot turn out between 2 and 8 feet so unless you're building a pulling truck I wouldn't run it out the hood as far as the stock oil pump is concerned your turbo is still mounted the same wether its hung or sits on top and considering that the guys running twins still use the stock pump it should be enough to oil it

Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Diesel Fan

Davo, thanks for the concern, but I'm not really concerned law wise, just motor longevity wise.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Davo, Just to find out what your talking about legality wise I checked the DOT, Ohio DOT, DMV, and several other sites. I was unable to find any information regarding exhaust placement, can you send me the literature you have regarding this?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

From what I found we simply cant have straight pipes, and need to not emit excessive smoke.. My solution is going to be run dual tractor stacks, if you look at the video attached to my profile, I have already done this to an old crapper Ford diesel to see how it would work, now Dual will really be slick.

Last edited by Overload; 07-08-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I went to your profile and didn't see any video

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by davo79
Dot law says the exhuast must exit behind the cab and cannot turn out between 2 and 8 feet so unless you're building a pulling truck I wouldn't run it out the hood as far as the stock oil pump is concerned your turbo is still mounted the same wether its hung or sits on top and considering that the guys running twins still use the stock pump it should be enough to oil it
must vary state to state. in MT and i believe down here too, it has to exit rear of the cab OR upwards.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

thanks for the concern, but I'm not really concerned law wise, just motor longevity wise.
Now thats a good way to think and a good way to hurt your wallet.

There is nothing to be gained from flipping the manifold performance wise or longevitywise that would warrant you to flip it as a single.Many owners flip their aftermarket manifold to allow for placement of twins but in a single configuration they are hung like the factory hangs them.There is no oiling system upgrade needed when a owner flips the manifold for twins either.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does vary state to state I know california is **** about stuff like this

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Diesel Fan

I was working on it tonight but now noticed my oil drain on turbo is upside down, and if I flip the middle, I then loose my waste gate acuator. Will have to go back to stock anyways.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

clock it

Quick Reply: Turning my exhaust manifold 180 degree