12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Flippin death wobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flippin death wobble!!

still workin through, it didnt start till after 3 in suspension lift, change of angles i assume and over exageration of worn frontend parts. so fa rebuilt trackbar and still no fix. next will be fix broken bolt in swaybar bracket hahah, 3in drop pitman arm to restore stock steerin angles, and alignment. cant wait to be able to drive over 50mph over a bridge joint and not stand on the brakes.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

check your ball joints and wheel bearings, what track bar did you end up with

Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ball joints were still nice and tight, as with the tie rod ends no slop. but i have not done an alignment yet and tires are pigeon toed in quite a bit so im assuming tie rods need to be pushed out and caster adjusted would this help with the wobble? cus i think with them being pigeon toed in the tires fight for control which can lead to wobble in itself. also while putting the lift on one of the swaybar bolts broke off where the bracket connects to the frame so im in process of getting that out but not sure if the sway bar would help control wobble. as for the trackbar i couldnt decide on going with the thuren for 300 or the moog for 180 so for now i just put in new bushings. once this is figured out i want to go over to cross over or atleast 3rd gen bar

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine did it real bad until i put new tires on it and it hasn't done it since,and we have some rough roads around here.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

did you reset your caster after you lifted it? if not that is more than likley your problem and with 3in you will have to max it out to get it back in spec...unless you have aftermarker lower control arms...

Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The death woble comes from where the steering gear box is mounted on the end of the frame with no support that's cause 1 cause 2 is generaly a combo of bad brakes and bald tires the fix is get the cross brace for the frame it helps support the steering box and cures it completley pdr has one for less then 250 bucks I have one on my truck and love it

Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

haha I have that too but my caster is 0 and my axle has 220k on it. Mine doesn't do it until 74 mph but definitely not fun.
First time I felt it I put my seatbelt on and was ready for the truck to flip.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by davo79
The death woble comes from where the steering gear box is mounted on the end of the frame with no support that's cause 1 cause 2 is generaly a combo of bad brakes and bald tires the fix is get the cross brace for the frame it helps support the steering box and cures it completley pdr has one for less then 250 bucks I have one on my truck and love it
death wobble comes from several different problems. on my truck it was the caster out of spec after i put the 3in spacers on it. on my old truck it came from a bad steering stabelizer and on my buddies truck it was bad swaybar bushings......

Old 06-20-2009, 02:46 PM
GRI
Diesel Bomber
Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by davo79
brakes can not cause death wobble. it could cause some vibrations when the brakes are applied but it cant cause death wobble.

bald tires cant either. severely out of round tires or tires that cant be balanced without tons of weight and throw the weights.

the steering brace doesn't fix death wobble either. It will hide it but it wont cure it neither will the steering shocks. It might disappear when either of those are installed but it is still there and will wear those components.
death wobble in it true form is cause by improper steering geometry or worn steering components that allow excessive steering travel.

drag links and trac bars need to be parallel. positive caster is a must even on stock suspension trucks.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

bought the 3in drop pitman arm from superlift only to find it was identical to the stock dodge pitman arm. so at first it figured someone just put there stock one back in the box and returned it, so i got summit to give me the more expensive skyjacker one for free for their mess up. drove there exchanged pitman arms, opened the box before leaving this time... identical to both the stock pitman arm as well is identical down to the s/n to the superlift!!! now thats two major companys that sell the identical pitman arm down to the S/N one for 87.34 the other for 121.99 both say they are additional 3in drop pittman arm and are identical to stock!? while i was there i had them bring up a 2-5in, 0-2in, and a 3-6in drop from both companies.... the same damn pitman arm in different boxes, got my money back and said forget it for the day and drove two hours home for the 3rd time in two days. 2marw i plan on fixing the caster hoping it will help some. whats good numbers for the caster adjustment for a 3in lift? and whats a easy way about doin it? will i be able to get enough adjustment with stock arms? thanks everyone for the input sofar just got to keep workin through it to figure out this wobble

Quick Reply: Flippin death wobble!!