12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Cab Light Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cab Light Install?

alright guys who has installed a set of cab lights?i need to know where to run my wires,and so on and so forth!is it a real pain in the d@#%k?i heard it is.any tips would be much appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The next truck I buy WILL have cab lights. I've done 4 sets and hated every one!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Diesel Wrench

what all is involved?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

This is how i did it,

I took the interrrior apart enough to pull head liner ( my first was a club cab long bed ) i couldnt fish the headliner out without creasing . you can drop it down enough in the front that you can drill. lay your seats back so headliner can rest on them. I boght a cab light kit from RECON. had no template to follow, so you get to deside what angle you want them to be. Ok next, i found that these dodge roofs have like a a 2 piece roof or whatever, there are pilot holes in the second piece of metal ( one where your visors sould sit.) thats where i choose i wanted my light harness to come throught PLUS the holes in the roof ARE the correct spacing. i drilled like a half inch hole to rund wires through ( yeah, little over kill but they don rub.) once you get the holes drilled out for your cablight wires, you might need a buddy to help with the nxt step.

Have a buddy hold each cab light the SAME distance from windshield line (rubber seal) i forget what i went with, 5 inches sounds familer but i forget. mark the holes in th bases on your roof so you can drill little pilot holes for our mounting screws. make sure your 3 in the middle are evenly spaced. I took my two outside ones and angled the with the contour ( spelling ?) of the windshield.

next i just ran the hot wire in series with each cablight to the headlight switch. cant remember what color it is ( just take a test light to the one that lights up when pulled out to " parking light mode" ( thats what i did) then just grounded the rest of them. Turn on an enjoy! SORRY IF I FORGOT SOMETHING that should be all you need
GOOOD LUCK IT CAN BE A PITFA

Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Diesel Wrench

thaks man that sounds alright i appreciate the help yall are the best!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

No problem bud all i can suggest is take your time and dont get in a hurry

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Diesel Wrench

i tend to say lots of dirty words when i do stuff like this.i don't know why.i think i have even come up with a few of my own,my own combinations anyway.i know all about the PITFA!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I AGREE!! . well take some pictures when you get done i want to see what they look like oh btw which ones did you go with. clear, amber lenses?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Diesel Wrench

amber and i'll be sure to post a couple pics.i can't wait to get them,i love new toys.i'm in the process of making a set of stacks.they're made of 4" pipe with 1/4"walls.slash cut.they are plain steel,but i'm machining the outside it the lathe here at work.that look great.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. id like to see that. I love new toys also. Right now im tryin to figure out what i want my stack covers to look like and what to make them out of. im tired of rain getting in down in the y-pipe. it looks like poop when you start it up and a volcanic explosion of black water shoots out of them . you got any ideas?

OH, sorry im not tryin to HI-JAck your thread

Last edited by TwinStackPete379; 06-11-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Cab Light Install?