Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   carrier bearing in long dodge drive shaft (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/25562-carrier-bearing-long-dodge-drive-shaft.html)

392hemix 04-19-2009 04:00 PM

carrier bearing in long dodge drive shaft

I Have a 97 dodge, the (truck in my sig), I have replaced the bearing in my drive shaft, it was so blown that it howeld and shook like 2 inches. I changed it out and the shuttering @ take off whent away. I did a few burnouts, and now the suttering in the truck has come back. Does anyone know of a super solid bearing set up for these carrier bearings. I am also thinking the shutter is in my transmuission, but i think it was strange that it went away when i put in a fresh bearing. I have noticed the shuttering only @ take off. the truck does not do it past 5-10 mph depending how hard i hammer it. it also doesnt do it during a break stand. kinda wierd.:argh:

oglejust 04-19-2009 05:19 PM

hmm get under it and shake it to see how much play its got in it, man those r a b-otch to change, when i get 1 at the shop i dont even mess w/ trying to press 1 off i just cut it.

Johnny Z 04-19-2009 08:43 PM

:c:I had a universal go tits up and it made my truck shutter in a nasty manner. Though carrier was trashed,but it was just the two rear shft u joints.:c:

coyropin 04-19-2009 09:13 PM

yeah something is throwing you drivline off balance check your u joints and rear yoke for play

Meralain 04-19-2009 10:50 PM

Hmmm.....If that new carrier is dead all ready, take a look at your driveline. Have you hit something with it? My fix or repair daily has a ever so slightly bent driveline and it vibrates at only a certain speed. It is just a back country truck, so I haven't bothered to fix it yet. If it is a U joint, you will notice a "click" when you let off the accelerator and another "click" when you get back on.

392hemix 04-20-2009 08:15 PM

I have not hit anything, I just replaced the bearing cause when i got the truck, the carrier bearing was so shot, the guy thought the tranny was blown. I changed it and it was like i put a new transmission in my truck, for 116.00 bucks. I drove it 15 miles and the vibration is back...evarything feels tight. i noticed the carrier bearing is incased with rubber...was woundering if they sell a solid mounted one that will not give under tourque. maybe i just need my shaft balanced but the truck runs fine @ high speed it just shutters on take off from dead stop. I can mash the skinny pedal if im rolling and it wont shutter though.... its just strange prolly another thing i am going to chase for moths.:humm:

coyropin 04-20-2009 08:19 PM

did you put your shims back in some trucks have shims to adjust the driveline

392hemix 04-20-2009 08:23 PM

naw, i didnt have any shims. everything i took out i put back. i think its strange that it worked fine, for 15 miles and one hell burner and after that it started to shake a bit. i have driven it about 6000 miles and its not getting worse but its anoying.

coyropin 04-20-2009 08:33 PM

something is out of balance i would take it to a driveline shop it might be twisted a bit or something

Beets 04-20-2009 08:35 PM

just throwing this out there is your drive line in phase? i have popped alot of u joints in my jeep from being out of phase