Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   carrier bearing in long dodge drive shaft (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/25562-carrier-bearing-long-dodge-drive-shaft.html)

392hemix 04-21-2009 05:20 PM

Thanks for the tips guys:U:

Beets 04-21-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 392hemix (Post 327516)
Thanks for the tips guys:U:

no problem anytime.

MotorOilMcCall 04-22-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Beets (Post 327459)
you don't have to be lifted at all to be out of phase. and being out of phase can damge anything in the drive line. Any car, truck or suv that has a two piece drive shaft can be easily out off phase if someone has ever change U joints or anything.

I wasn't saying that lifting the vehicle would throw a driveline out of phase at all. I was saying that driveline angles don't change as drastically as with a Jeep due to its long length. When you set up a driveline, your u-joint angles have to be equal and opposite in order for them to properly compliment each other. You don't have a joint at 3* drop coming out of the T-Case, and 0* going into the pinion... It has to match that 3*. When you lift a vehicle, you throw those angles off. In a jeep you can change them 10*-15* pretty quickly, but with these trucks it would take a much taller lift to duplicate that. Is what I'm saying making sense? It is in my head, but I've been doing this a while and I just have a bit different lingo.

Beets 04-22-2009 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MotorOilMcCall (Post 328193)
I wasn't saying that lifting the vehicle would throw a driveline out of phase at all. I was saying that driveline angles don't change as drastically as with a Jeep due to its long length. When you set up a driveline, your u-joint angles have to be equal and opposite in order for them to properly compliment each other. You don't have a joint at 3* drop coming out of the T-Case, and 0* going into the pinion... It has to match that 3*. When you lift a vehicle, you throw those angles off. In a jeep you can change them 10*-15* pretty quickly, but with these trucks it would take a much taller lift to duplicate that. Is what I'm saying making sense? It is in my head, but I've been doing this a while and I just have a bit different lingo.

i got ya when i read it i didnt think about pinion angles, i thought you were still talkin about Phasing. i have a jeep too, that i wheel currently motor less. yea my 13" drive shaft has bad problems with the rear u joint i have the rear pinion rotated up so it is straight with the drive shaft to avoid the yokes biding going down steep hills but it still wears them badly.

MotorOilMcCall 04-23-2009 03:56 PM

Well, unless you have a double cardan joint on the T-Case end (a lot of guys call it a CV, even though its not), you don't want the pinion pointed at the T-Case. That's the problem with Jeeps, the driveshaft is so short that to keep angles equal and opposite, the U-Joints would bind. The easiest solution is a Double Cardan driveshaft... The only other real option is to stretch the wheelbase, or tilt the engine down.

Uncle Bubba 04-23-2009 04:15 PM

If this truck has a lift on it and no pinion angle shims in the rear axles I can guess what the problem is.

Beets 04-23-2009 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by MotorOilMcCall (Post 328575)
Well, unless you have a double cardan joint on the T-Case end (a lot of guys call it a CV, even though its not), you don't want the pinion pointed at the T-Case. That's the problem with Jeeps, the driveshaft is so short that to keep angles equal and opposite, the U-Joints would bind. The easiest solution is a Double Cardan driveshaft... The only other real option is to stretch the wheelbase, or tilt the engine down.

its a budget wheeler so i just swap to an extra drive shaft when i break one. i dont want to spend the money on an sye kit and a new drive shaft anyways cuz it is blown up right now and i am trying to save money up to swap a 4BT in it.:U: then i will turn the lil banger up and roll the coal with it.

392hemix 04-23-2009 07:31 PM

Nasty, i got a friend putting a 4bt in a wrangler, I have pictures of the engine in my profile of the ruff instal....got the motor out of a box truck.:U: