12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Do Injectors go Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do Injectors go Bad?

i am looking at buying some used injectors and the person says

"Yeah let me look at them, i will try to clean them up a little bit for you, I dont know if the orings on them are reusable or not, I dont really know how to clean the carbon off the injector tips but i was just thinking of using wd-40 and wiping them down or maybe even using a little bit of diesel fuel with a rag."

do you think they would still be good?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a damn good question. I can call lenny at ddp and ask him he's usually pretty good about explaining that kind of stuff. As far as i know they dont go bad, but they have also just sat for months, i did put them in plastic baggies, I can also ask lenny what he might suggest running thru them to keep them from gumming up it thats possible. I know carbs will do it with gasoline but I dont know about injectors and diesel.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok ya i'm not trying to say your gonna sell me shitty injectors i just want make sure my investment is a good one

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Oh yeah i understand man, I would do the same. Especially now that the economy is taking a dive down the *******, we might as well flush it and start over haha. Like thats a good idea.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Like i said before, they do haze a lot. Come to think of it, my truck hazes a lot with my ddp's now. I think i need to bump up my timing but first i need a torque converter mines about to crap on me.

Last edited by collinscummins; 04-02-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya i'm gettin a spec rite tow performance converter in like a week.. unfortunately after i get that its just gonna blow my input shaft haha

Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Everything goes bad, Buy good fuel.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Diesel-N-Dust
Everything goes bad, Buy good fuel.
Would you care to elaborate? Anything man made will eventually fail it only takes time...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

like stated above yes they can go bad, if the truck was taken care of and crap wasnt run thru the fuel system you should be alright...now the orings im guessing your talking about the copper washers you want to get new ones of those anyhow, dont learn the hard way trust me

Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well they were running fine when they were on my truck, just hazed, I actually didnt notice much of a difference between them and the ddp 90's to be honest, but then again i havent had the time to check my pump settings either. I was actually talkin about the o-rings on the upper part of the injector where your hold down nut goes, im guessing the idea behind them is to keep debris out of where the injector goes. Thats good information though on the copper washers. What thickness do you say to get i heard .010" is that correct? Can you get them at any hardware store?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

im not sure on the size, someone will...no i dont think you can get these just anywhere but fuel shops, any fuel shop should have them and they are not that expensive.

Quick Reply: Do Injectors go Bad?