12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Hey guys I need help modifying my 12v pusher motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys I need help modifying my 12v pusher motorhome

Hey guys I am new to the forum, but I have been doing some reading/searching over the past week or so. Here comes my long post.

I have a 1997 Coachmen 33' with 5.9l 12v cummins
I am not up on Diesel modifications, so last year I installed the Banks Stinger Kit. It came with Boost and egt Gauges, Fuel Plate and the big head wastegate. This made a pretty decent power increase. We tow trailer thats about 5000 pounds loaded from PA to FL and I am looking for some more juice! Here is what I am thinking but I need some more info.

1. I already have the big head wastegate so I am thinking turn up the boost a few pounds to around 35psi from the 32psi I am at now

2. What does everyone think of water injection, I thought this would be a big plus helping keep my egts in check and possibly a little boost in power.

3. I need some more top end speed, the fuel pump is governed at around 2500 rpm and that gets me at like 65mph loaded, I would like another 500-700 rpm out of it. I read about moving in the governer screw, but what is this talk about springs for the pump?

4. On the topic of fuel, should I loosen my plate and pump and push it forward? What is the common injector to use and boost up power on the stock turbo keeping mpg in mind?

5. The turbo is breathing thru a huge can shaped air filter and it draws air from the roof of the motorhome, can any inprovements be made here?

6. Right now the downpipe goes into a restrictive looking muffler, can I straightpipe it? I think my gains here will be lower egts and possibly faster spool.

To sum up my post, I am not looking to drag race, I just need some more grunt on the highway. With the power I have right now if I see a hill a mile ahead I better have it punched. The extra top speed would really make it a nice motorhome to drive because passing cars is out of the question now. I appreciate all of your help!
Grant

Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

to get some more rpms u can go w/ a 3k gsk its a gov. spring kit

Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sec that. The governor spring kit is a must have on a 12v. you will love keeps fueling up 3000. look on ebay. I payed like 146.00 and shipping. just shop around.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I would slide the plate maybe half way first. Not enough slide it more. block off your wastegate. I blocked mine off plus my plate is slide all the way 10 plate. I boost around 38psi.

Last edited by big_dog37074; 01-21-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

first off

second, what are your egt's now when pulling a grade with the load behind you? is your pyrometer in the exhaust manifold before the turbo or the downpipe after the turbo?

you will want to look into tabing the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) as it has a tendency to back itself out of the block and timing cade and get stuck inbetween some gears up there and make a big ole expensive mess. any or our fine sponsors here can get you a KDP tab kit.

the 3K gsk is a must. you will think you have stolen a brand new motor home once you install the springs. just be real aware of the EGT's as they will now climb faster and will continue to climb after 2500 rpm. i would leave the plate in the stock location for now. does the motorhome smoke at all now? if not the more boost won't help out much. it'll put more stress on the turbo and it's not worth it.

hope this helps

Last edited by Benjamin; 01-21-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said^.

3000 RPM springs will make a world of difference.
Do that first without anything else.
Next, I'd clean up the exhaust and intake for a more free flowing system. That will help your spool time.
Then, if you still need more (and your EGTs are good), slide the plate forward a bit. If you have no smoke at all on a low boost pedal mash, you can also get a little more aggressive with your AFC tuning. Slide the housing forward a little. Too far and it'll get smokey, so go a little at a time. Same goes for the other AFC adjustments.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it ooks like the 3k kit is a must

Benjamin, My egt probe is in the manifold right before the turbo, I never see higher than 1250 deg f
I have never heard of the kdp pin, I will have to read into it.
The motorhome does not smoke much at all. There is barely any soot.

Yellow Yota,I will definately have to look into fine tuning of the afc. What would you do as far as intake. I dont want to just have an open filter hanging in the engine bay as it gets really hot in there

Here is a copy of my data plate hopefully this helps

Thanks again!