12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Warming up Probs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warming up Probs.

The vehicle in my sig is the one i am having trouble with. it has electric fans on a thermostatic switch, i have a piece of cardboard that cover all but a 17"X4" strip on one side. and still i plug it in every night which the block heater works and under 32* outside temp, it takes me 3 miles of stop and go traffic to get it to get up to 140 on the gauge. I have the fuel turned to it, 0 plate, 3k gsk, afc gutted. i was thinking about advancing the timing some to see what that does. i did that to my buddys truck and his warms up alot quicker than mine and he uses no cardboard, and has a factory mechanical fan.

I don't know what else to try, i was thinking timing a little bit, or i was gonna try an electric water pump to see what that would do.

so it thought i would ask you guys what you guys have been doing.

thanks
Cody

Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

so whats the problem are ya just cold or something?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea, its that im frozen, and the truck doesn't even think about getting warm to be more efficient and i refuse to be hard on it below 160*. so it is using a lot of fuel, and i cant push the pedal to much to get the durn thing out of the way.

Also we have been having alot of ice and freezing rain and it is no fun going down the road and your windshield freezes up becuase the inside of your truck is the same temp as outside.

Hopefully this clears things up...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Takes forever for mine to warm up. The block heater keeps it at 100*, but as soon as I start it, it drops to 90*. It's a 12 mile drive to work and It's been cold enough that the truck is still under 170* by the time I pull into the shop's parking lot. Fastest way I've found to warm 'em up is throw a trailer behind 'em.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

thats a diesel for ya, it takes me 15 miles at 60 mph to get mine to get warm as well i invested in a carhardt

Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with these guys.. It takes me 15 miles to get mine warmed up.. I tried blocking off my radiator to, but didn't help warm up time. and every time i got out it seemed like i could smell hot oil to.. so I took the cardboard off and the smell went away I didn't want the oil to get to het and thin.. it may have been something else. but that's just me 2 cents.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think it weird tho, my buddys truck, which is a 97 12ver and a 5spd, and timing a little advanced by .050, warms up within 2 miles from his house, and he is not hard on it as i instructed him not to be till its warmed up. it has a 100 plate afe dry, and a 5in..other than that it is stock...

im just confused why his can warm up so quick and mine doestn at all. o well i geuss im gonna have to live with it. ill figure something out, just not sure what...

thanks guys

cody

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it takes mine forever for the motor to warm up but i still get heat after about 5 mins of driving

Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cumminsdieselboy
I think it weird tho, my buddys truck, which is a 97 12ver and a 5spd, and timing a little advanced by .050, warms up within 2 miles from his house, and he is not hard on it as i instructed him not to be till its warmed up. it has a 100 plate afe dry, and a 5in..other than that it is stock...

im just confused why his can warm up so quick and mine doestn at all. o well i geuss im gonna have to live with it. ill figure something out, just not sure what...

thanks guys

cody
i am just throwing this out there but your cooling system could be working great and your buddys may be dirty or have gunk in it causing his to warm up faster. i just flushed my entire cooling system and it take a good 15 to 20 mins to get all the way up to 190* when it is below 32*

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im lucky to get mine to warm after 20 miles. the best way for me to speed up the heat is more fuel. i can see when the thermostat cycles. it just part of owning a real truck with a real engine.