12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Intake Horns vs Flow

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

agree with above. the int horn looks better than stock. but they are not the limiting factor on airflow.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes from what I have understand talking to other people and from expierence. You need a fully built motor in order to see a difference. Like the one Scheid built that you can buy. They see a 150 HP gain.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

just put a bigger turbo on you will solve all your air flow problems

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or you can just do what Im going to do!

Name:  itmanifold3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  itmanifold4.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  103.5 KB

Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Yep..
Thats sure a neat use of sheet metal BH....

But I have a question........

What good is the nifty intake going to do you when your not addressing the real problem of proper air distribution?.Yes,you redirected the airflow into the cylinders and added some intake plenum which I agree these motors need,BUT,You still have the intake being fed in the center thus airflow will still be strongest at cylinders 3 and 4 and weakest on the end.This will still allow a lean condition in cylinders 1 and 6 and still allows the age old heat problem you started with.

Why not take the plenum and taper it out the piping some which would allow the air to be distributed among all three more evenly instead of it going in at 3-4,bouncing off the plenum wall(thus disturbing it and creating unneeded turbulence) and then distributing it throughout the cylinders?.I'd love to have a high speed camera inside that thing your building as it is while its strapped on a flow bench to show you whats going to happen.Also keep in mind that air does not like to bend around corners very well which is why most good header builders us the old saying "never follow a bend with a bend".

Now for the rest....
Unless your going for all out performance then just choose a air horn in a design you like and spend your money.I have yet to see one that has enough of a HP gain to say its better than the next.I have a Twin Ram on my 12v because of the better distribution of air to the outer cylinders.Its not a perfect fix but one that did what I wanted it to do and with the cheap price I picked mine up at since it was used I could not go wrong......Andy

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is my take on the 2 1/4" vs 3" tubing ... you have a garden hose and a firehose both pressurized to some value like 20 psi .. which is going to flow more water?

Now changing back to air, if the 2 1/4" tubing will flow the maximum volume of air your engine will consume then really there is no need to go any bigger. I haven't measured the diameter of my intake horn lately and I haven't done the flow calculations so I cant say for sure if 2 1/4" tubing is too big or too small.

On a personal note I think 3" tubing would look pretty bad *** under the hood but that is just personal preference.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine in my truck is slighty moded, #100 plate, 16 deg timing, 3k gov shim, 35-40 holset, 4 inch exhaust, afe filter, twin elec fans, howards billet convertor. The point I'm tring to make is not a huge gain in HP but rather the ability to built up boost faster by reducing the dead space available in the intake tract. The fire hose garden hose comparison is not quite sound. The hose comparison would be more correct if you had to fill a given length of hose with a specific volume/quantity of water. The smaller hose will fill to its capacity quicker than the large one. The whole hose/liquid visual is kinda sketchy anyway..........much more indepth do to the fact that the flow of an incompressable liquid is different than air.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From someone who owns a 3in. diameter intake horn (Cooler Tubz) and has used it on both the hx-35 and a 64 both at 40+lbs of boost. the spool up time is faster, the response is better, the power is better, surprisingly enough a slight (i mean very slight not like 100 degrees drop) drop in egts as the air going into the engine isnt as hot.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

lots of good points, got a twin ram on mine seemed to help with egts slightly, and made sense ,

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhultman
The smaller hose will fill to its capacity quicker than the large one. .

I understand your reasoning.. However, I don't think the difference will be enough to notice a big change in spool time. Also your measurements are off of your turbo.. I Don't know when I'll upgrade, or what i'll upgrade to, And I understand the fact bigger is not always better. However in this situation I think I'd go with the bigger tube and leave room for improvements later on.

Last edited by tyrel_44; 01-06-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake Horns vs Flow