12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Fuel Plate effect on Auto trans life

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Plate effect on Auto trans life

What is the most that can be done prior to TC and VB upgrades if any? I have a fairly low miles (75k) 2500. I tow our work trailer (~10ft box) most days and would like to get back some power. I plan on getting a Georend Heavy Hauler w billet input down the road but can't afford it atm.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

You can do a #10 or a 100 then just use yer right foot as the governor

Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, there is no "how much can a stock tranny take" guesses on power. Some last fine for a while, some last next to nothing at all. I'd say since you're hauling a trailer (and wanting to add power) to a stock transmission, you're asking for premature failure. Ask yourself this: you say you can't afford the tranny now, but can you afford the downtime with the truck if the tranny went tomorrow?

Me personally, I'd skip on the power until I had the transmission rebuilt.

The following users liked this post:
razorrodent (12-26-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
No, there is no "how much can a stock tranny take" guesses on power. Some last fine for a while, some last next to nothing at all. I'd say since you're hauling a trailer (and wanting to add power) to a stock transmission, you're asking for premature failure. Ask yourself this: you say you can't afford the tranny now, but can you afford the downtime with the truck if the tranny went tomorrow?

Thank you for the advice. That is what I had been thinking as well. I just wanted to ask to make shure. Hopefully later in the year i can cop for a built Georend or atleast the TC and VB. One of my cousins husband has owned a tranny shop for 30 years so gettign the upgrade parts installed inst an issue if i go that route rather than the Heavy Hauler.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

On a stock motor with no upgrades and since its a 97 automatic he would be safe with a TST 8 plate which is a 230hp/605tq and not much of a upgrade over stock.Its all Chappel recommends for a stock transmission and I would also say keep the starwheel on the tight side limiting low end fueling.Do make sure you go and do the trans though before going up any further as as they have said the stock single disc convertor will slip and then your finished until rebuild time.....Andy

Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor
Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw

X2

I wouldn't go much past pushing the stock plate forward on a 180 pump that pulls a load.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Hammer
On a stock motor with no upgrades and since its a 97 automatic he would be safe with a TST 8 plate which is a 230hp/605tq and not much of a upgrade over stock.Its all Chappel recommends for a stock transmission and I would also say keep the starwheel on the tight side limiting low end fueling.Do make sure you go and do the trans though before going up any further as as they have said the stock single disc convertor will slip and then your finished until rebuild time.....Andy
Who is Chappel? Does he/she/they have any experience with these trucks and "a #8 plate"? Everyone knows these transmissions leave something to be desired in stock form, let alone with any power upgrades. Couple that with constant towing and you're asking for a failure. There is no "safe limit" for a stock trans. You may get lucky with it for a while. How long? Unless you tear the transmission down and inspect each part, one guess is as good as the next.

My personal experience, my stock transmission/converter started slipping with a STOCK 215 pump and mild towing (<5000 lbs.) once in a blue moon. Food for thought.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
FormerVendor

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Someone at TST???

When i was talking to Dave about my trans he was telling me about people breaking there stock inputs with stock engines just pulling 5the wheel campers. That tells ya just how bad our stock transmissions are. However they can be built up and there a lot of fun.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Diesel Fan

Dave will also tell you he's seen people break STOCK input shafts at STOCK power levels with only a torque converter lockup switch, and locked 3rd to 4th gear shifts with no towing. I would believe Dave's word, too. I've personally only seen 1, but the guy was pretty hard on the whole truck.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Well if you throw a lockup into the mix things can go bad in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Fuel Plate effect on Auto trans life