12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

I NEED SOME HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I NEED SOME HELP

ok i just sold my 96 dodge 1500 for a 94 dodge 2500. i bought it off a fellow firefighter (well judging the condition of it i saved it) and i know nothing about diesels. ive never had one and the first in my family to have one. so they cant help me. from a stop my truck shifts at 2k but from 1500 to just before 2k it seems like im just making the turbo just whine(spell?) but anyway when it does shift in my opinion it shifts hard. i dont drive it hard i try to save gas. from a stop i get about 3-5 psi. of boost(only gauge). going down the highway i get 10-15 psi.
QUESTions.

1) NORMAL SHIFT POINT FOR A 12 VALVE
2) 1500 TO LIKE 1900 rpm = NO POWER
3) DOES HAVING A LIGHT FOOT HURT ANYTHING
4) the tamper proof bolt on the afc, can i replace it with just any bolt (the same size)?

i only want to do 2 mods to the motor (put a 10 plate in it and bigger injectors)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by wilke12V
ok i just sold my 96 dodge 1500 for a 94 dodge 2500. i bought it off a fellow firefighter (well judging the condition of it i saved it) and i know nothing about diesels. ive never had one and the first in my family to have one. so they cant help me. from a stop my truck shifts at 2k but from 1500 to just before 2k it seems like im just making the turbo just whine(spell?) but anyway when it does shift in my opinion it shifts hard. i dont drive it hard i try to save gas. from a stop i get about 3-5 psi. of boost(only gauge). going down the highway i get 10-15 psi.
QUESTions.

4) the tamper proof bolt on the afc, can i replace it with just any bolt (the same size)?

i only want to do 2 mods to the motor (put a 10 plate in it and bigger injectors)
1) NO idea, sorry
2) that seems odd, cummins make most of there power at the low end and that should be the sweet spot for you
3)they say diesels are made to drive hard, i would lay into every once in a while (could be just for fun)
4)im pretty sure that would be fine

Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

sounds like you need to do some star wheel adjusting. Spin it towards the front of the engine and that will get you a lot more giddy-up un the lower rpm range. You should also consider some 3000 rpm governor springs.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-1...-12-valve.html

take a look at this thread for some ideas.

And if you are going to do any pump tuning you really need to get a pyrometer.

Last edited by kbailey; 08-05-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

You should also find out if the dowel pin issue has been dealt with.(killer dowel pin)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

what is the pin that you are talking about?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The Kdp is the Killer Dowel Pin - its a pin that is used to locate the timing case on the front of the engine. For some reason, Cummins speced the pin too small and it can fall out. Therefore, you need to pull the front of the timing case off and put a tab infront of the dowel pin so that it doesnt fall out. If it does fall your, the damage and headache is well beyond a grand.

Have a look here:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/cummin...l-pin-fix.html

and here:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-question.html

and here:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-question.html

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by wilke12V
QUESTions.

1) These things are pretty much dogs in stock form. You can add a fir bit of hp without adversely affecting the milage (if you can keep your fott out of the throttle that is).

2) see above post

3) wont really hurt it but as already mentioned, a Cummins is a medium duty diesel engine and you really cant hurt it by driving it hard. Every once and awhile you need to take it out and drive it like you stole it. I would it would be better t have a heavy foot than a light foot.

4) yes, you can replace that bolt (cant remember the size off the top of my head though).

Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well now that i have had it for a llil bit. it turns out that the harder i drive it the shifts seem better and the dead spot goes away. but now i have more questions. what would happen if i moved the stock plate all the way forward? a lil more smoke maby? and iwas talking to a local shop and he was just telling me the free mods i can do anyway, he said that i can spin a screw twards the motor and the only thing that i can see that kinda makes sence to me is like a 1" round screw with an allen head he said take that off and take a screwdriver and turn it clockwise as if your sitting in the truck. i want to knw if thats ok for now, all i have is a boost gauge for now

Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

well once you get to turnin up the fuel you really need to get an EGT guage thats probably the most important once you start "turnin it up", and also a tranny temp guage wouldnt be a bad idea.

To answer your other question yes you will get more smoke if you slide the plate forward, the only thing i warn you though is that 47re(tranny) can only take so much tweaking then your gonna need some upgrades to that transmission to hold the power.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 AM
BOMBARDIER

What he said - you need an EGT guage (Exhaust Gas Temperature) or pyrometer before you start screwing around with mods. You can melt a piston pretty easy with in these things.