12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

NV 4500 Stuck In 5th

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NV 4500 Stuck In 5th

Went on a trip this last weekend and was about 200mi from home when I went to back up to hookup the trailer when the trans wouldn't shift to reverse so I put it in neutral then 5th and tried to put it into reverse again and tihis time it stuck in 5th and I could'nt get it out.
I had the trans rebuilt in Sept last year and have only put 6000mi on it, I had new brgs,syncros,main shaft,clutch& TO brg and used syntouq as specified--- so that was about the last thing I thought I would have to worry about.
Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks

Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you should be happy, a lot of people lose 5th gear, you seem to have found its happy place . Sorry, I have no idea what the problem is, just bein a jack*** haha

Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

is your slave cylinder workin, it might that. can you get it out of gear with it turned off, if it is only when its runnin i would check your slave cylinder to make sure its not leakin, thats just an idea someone else might think of something else.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

My truck is 200 mi away right now-- but I did try to get it out of gear without it running and it was locked in 5th so I am thinking poss shift fork or rails or something like that.
My buddy is rounding up a gooseneck trailer so we can get it to the shop that rebuilt it in September so right now I am just hoping that they will backup their work cause it was around 2k to get it fixed then

Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

What kind of warranty was on it?

It should be covered by warranty with those few miles that you put on it.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have all the warranty stuff in the truck and don't really remember but as you say $2000 for 6000mi and not being covered would not really be good advertising for the shop that did the work, So I am going to give them a chance to do the right thing, If they don't I will be letting you all know about it for sure.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I finally got my truck to the shop after having my buddy get a triple axle trailer to haul it with, and spending all day Saturday in about 90+ heat and two passes $250 worth of fuel for my friends truck plus giving him $100 for being there to help when I needed him, and two weekends pretty much ruined and my vacation starting next week for the guy at the shop to tell me he dosen't know if he will be able to look at my truck this week because he is pretty busy.
I reminded him that I had spent $2000 last Sept on a trans rebuild just so I wouldn't be in this situation, so right now we are not off to a good start
I figured I would give him till this afternoon to see if he has started to look at it yet and if he hasen't I may not be my normal good natured self.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

better rip him a new one i would

Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had an 89 peterbilt with a 15 speed. id back up then go to 1st gear and it would jam in both gears at the same time. i couldnt even get neutral. if i was on an incline i would have to get pulled back a bit before i could it unstuck. a retaining ring broke on the reverse gear on the main shaft. when the fork tried to pull the sliding clutch out it actually pulled the gear forward on the splines. maybe its jammed in two gears at once. try pulling it one way or the other while trying to pull it out of gear.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to mine last year when I loaned my truck to a buddy - it stuck in 5th on him while pulling his rv. He took it to a local shop and for under $200 (including the tow bill) they found a broken return spring in the trans. I assume it was in the shift tower because I just rebuilt my tranny myself a couple of weeks ago but didn't get into the shift tower and could not for the life of me figure out what was caused the problem of it sticking in gear from looking at the syncros or fork set up. But the guy at the shop told me that it was a quick and easy fix and judging by the price he wasn't fibbing. they will have to drop the trans to get to the shift tower so I suspect that was the bulk of labor.

Quick Reply: NV 4500 Stuck In 5th