12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Torque converter locks up at 30 MPH peed sensor? TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter locks up at 30 MPH peed sensor? TPS?

So I've got a built trans with Billet torque converter. The torque converter is locking up at 30 MPH, I replaced the lock up solenoid but its still doing. Could it be like a Speed sensor? or the TPS? Should I look into doing a torque converter lock up switch or a POT?

Old 12-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I would do the switch, and don't just tap into the lockup wire, cut it. That way it will lock when you want, and can't when you don't want.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
I would do the switch, and don't just tap into the lockup wire, cut it. That way it will lock when you want, and can't when you don't want.
I drove it quite a bit on Monday and after a while it started locking then when you ease off the gas a hair it would unlock and then when you get back into the gas it would lock again.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Diesel Bomber

That's the normal function, one of the main reasons people install lockup switches is for engine braking because Dodge didn't think it was necessary... in spite of the circa 1989 Plymouth Voyager braking system they put in it.
It's been so many years since I've let the PCM control anything that I forget what the normal speed was for the PCM to lockup in 3rd and OD, but I do know that when you build a trans and start cranking up line pressure/etc it will affect it, because the PCM is stupid and doesn't know that things have changed.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Diesel Fan

That's the normal function, one of the main reasons people install lockup switches is for engine braking because Dodge didn't think it was necessary... in spite of the circa 1989 Plymouth Voyager braking system they put in it.
It's been so many years since I've let the PCM control anything that I forget what the normal speed was for the PCM to lockup in 3rd and OD, but I do know that when you build a trans and start cranking up line pressure/etc it will affect it, because the PCM is stupid and doesn't know that things have changed.
i think I’m going to bypass the tps with a POT and also put in a lock up switch wired up like a high beam switch

Old 12-27-2019, 04:07 AM
Diesel Bomber

Mine is wired through a floor mounted dimmer switch, if you're going to use it a lot it's the only way to go.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Diesel Fan

Mine is wired through a floor mounted dimmer switch, if you're going to use it a lot it's the only way to go.
my truck is my second vehicle. It’s used pretty much exclusively for towing my dragbike trailer across the southeast for racing so I’m figuring mount it like a dimmer switch and be done with it

Old 12-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Diesel Fan

so just to clarify, basically I just need to cut the wire going to the lock up clutch, wire it to the dimmer switch and wire the other dimmer terminal to ground and just tape off the end of the wire coming out of the pcm?

Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Diesel Bomber

IIRC, it was essentially adding a switch to the wire. I believe there was three poles on the switch, an in, an out, and a ground. I could be wrong though, because I also had a jumper through a rocker switch that allowed me to bring the PCM back in as Dodge intended if somebody was going to be driving who isn't familiar with it. I really don't remember how I did that. The whole thing was also on a Hobb switch that operated off drive pressure from the trans, so it would automatically unlock under a certain speed so nothing grenades in a panic stop. It all seem to be a good idea at the time, now it just seems too complicated to remember. But I'm pretty sure I cut the wire at the PCM, ran an extension inside to the dimmer switch, back up to the other side of the cut wire, a short leg off the switch to ground it in the cab somewhere, and if I had it to do again I wouldn't bother with all the rest.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:46 PM
Diesel Fan

IIRC, it was essentially adding a switch to the wire. I believe there was three poles on the switch, an in, an out, and a ground. I could be wrong though, because I also had a jumper through a rocker switch that allowed me to bring the PCM back in as Dodge intended if somebody was going to be driving who isn't familiar with it. I really don't remember how I did that. The whole thing was also on a Hobb switch that operated off drive pressure from the trans, so it would automatically unlock under a certain speed so nothing grenades in a panic stop. It all seem to be a good idea at the time, now it just seems too complicated to remember. But I'm pretty sure I cut the wire at the PCM, ran an extension inside to the dimmer switch, back up to the other side of the cut wire, a short leg off the switch to ground it in the cab somewhere, and if I had it to do again I wouldn't bother with all the rest.
I don’t have my proper drafting equipment so verify this with me please,

Quick Reply: Torque converter locks up at 30 MPH peed sensor? TPS?