12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12 valve with a terrible fluttering paper bag sound from exhaust. HELP!!!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 valve with a terrible fluttering paper bag sound from exhaust. HELP!!!

I have a 96 12 valve Cummins that I purchased about 5 years ago and it’s had a strange sound from the exhaust since day 1. Literally sounds like a plastic bag is flapping around inside the exhaust, that’s the best way I can describe it. I’ve researched and researched and researched and googled my *** off for days now with no good leads on a possible cause. Anybody out there ever have this issue or know someone that has? In all my years I’ve never heard a Cummins sound like this so I have no idea....sounds like ****, makes me not even want to drive it. Someone out there please help. I tried uploading a video but the site won’t let me for some reason.

Last edited by Fievalfon; 11-14-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Diesel Fan

No one out there with a similar issue or idea on a possible problem and solution? Dying to be rid of a sound that’s just down right embarrassing, especially for a Cummins. I’d like to add that the sound I speak is the same directly out of the turbo with the down pipe pulled. I only mention this because I was certain it sounded the way it did at first due particular bends and such throughout the exhaust system that was causing the issue but it’s absolutely not.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I've never heard a 12V that didn't sound like that, particularly with an aftermarket exhaust, but without a sound clip it's hard to say. If it's the same without the exhaust attached though, it must be crazy loud. Is it the stock turbo? Any shaft play? Any oil in the exhaust? Does it run well? Seems very unusual to be coming from anywhere in the combustion chain and not be running like crap, but I've been a lot of miles without encountering it, so maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for finally chiming in Jbear. Man, If every 12 valve sounds like this then I’m no longer a 12 valve fan, this thing sounds like ****. Has an upgraded HE351 but the exhaust has sounded this way since the hx35. No shaft play and no oil in the exhaust. Just recently added injectors, delivery valves and afc live and the truck runs great but still sounds like crap. I haven’t found a YouTube clip yet of a 12 valve that sounds like mine. If I could figure out how to load a sound clip of mine I would but something tells me you won’t pick up on it in a video.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Diesel Bomber

If you can hear it without an exhaust on the truck it has got to be some kind of loud. Could it be the fan? Anything that turns could be doing it. I've heard alternators that sounded like a supercharger, and tensioners that sounded like a coffee can full of marbles. These things are skeletons now, you just have to keep whacking at them and see what falls off...

Old 11-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Diesel Fan

No, it’s 100% coming from the engine out the tail pipe. Pulled the exhaust and you can directly hear it coming out the turbo. I really wish I could post a video, it might really help explain.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Come on people, help me out

Still no one out there that has any thoughts on this issue? Every time I hear a 12 valve and the fact mine sounds nothing like it I get pissed. Someone out there has had to have had some sort of encounter with what I’m dealing with, I can’t be the only one can I?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

What do you have for an exhaust?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan

4” turbo back to a muffler and then out to 6” stacks. But like I stated earlier, I have pulled the exhaust completely off at the turbo and it sounds exactly the same, louder obviously but the same phhh phh phh phh flutter. Many 12 valves I hear even have that cool turbo noise out the end of the pipe when you decel and shift gears and I don’t get that in the slightest. I don’t know why my truck sounds so different but I am beyond desperate to figure something out here.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 AM
Diesel Bomber

I was thinking about a resonation, but on the other hand, I was also drunk. So.

Does it change with load or rpm? Is it the same going down the road as it is at idle?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12 valve with a terrible fluttering paper bag sound from exhaust. HELP!!!