12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Driveshaft Length?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Length?

A little background information:

I am in process of converting my 1998 2WD Dodge Ram 2500 QCSB 12 valve VN4500 to 4WD. I have the 4WD frame fully assembled with all components including engine, transmission and transfercase. The next step is to re-install the cab on the frame.

I am using a 2006 Ford NP271 transfercase behind my NV4500. Unlike the Dodge NP271, used Ford NP271 transfercases are plentiful and inexpensive. The unit I purchased has 100k miles on it and was from a 2006 5.4L gas F-250. I paid $300 for it. When I opened the case to install the Dodge input shaft, the chain was tight and the internals showed no discernible wear.

Both front and rear driveshafts are too long. I knew the two-piece rear driveshaft would be too long because it is the original 2WD shaft. The front section of the rear driveshaft can be shortened. I am concerned about the rear section of the rear driveshaft. Will the rear section of the 2WD driveshaft be too short for 4WD? I'm thinking the 4WD factory 4" lift blocks may require a longer rear section. Does anyone know if the rear section of the 2WD and 4WD rear driveshafts are the same? Can someone with a 2nd gen 4WD QCSB and Dana 80 measure the rear section of the rear driveshaft for me? Weld-to-weld measurement should be easy with shaft in the truck. I can compare this measurement to the my driveshaft.

I purchased a used OEM driveshaft from a 2000 4WD NV4500 Dodge 3500 diesel. I expected it to fit, but it is also too long. Can someone with a 2nd gen 2500 NV4500 Dana 60 truck measure the length of the front driveshaft from U-joint to U-joint and weld-to-weld? With these measurements, I can determine if I was sent the correct front driveshaft. If I do have the correct driveshaft, then I need a custom front shaft for this NP271 conversion.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've searched for weeks looking for the lengths of the Dodge factory shafts. I have found lengths for Jeep and Ford driveshafts, but nothing on Dodge.