12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

4WD vs 2WD rear axle shock mounts & pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD vs 2WD rear axle shock mounts & pinion angle

I originally posted this on Diesel Truck Resource, but after 3 months and a few TTTs, I have not had luck getting any information.

I am in the process of converting my 140k mile 1998 12 valve QC 5 speed from 2WD to 4WD. The truck has the factory tow and camper packages. I purchased a straight 1998 4WD frame with front suspension and Dana 60 axle with 180k miles from a salvage yard in Texas. I have refurbished the front axle, stripped the frame and painted both. The 4WD frame is now fully reassembled with the exception of the rear axle. I want to re-use my 2WD Dana 80 rear axle. I've purchased an installed a 4WD cover on the Dana 80. The fill hole is 1" higher on the 4WD cover. I've seen pics on the web that show the position of the rear axle shock/antisway bar brackets. The 2WD and 4WD brackets are positioned differently. The 4WD brackets are clocked so the mounting holes for the shocks are closer to the frame. I've read the pinion angle is different between 2WD and 4WD - I think this can be addressed with wedges.

I will be grinding the welds off the shock brackets, re-clocking them to the 4WD position and welding them to the axle tube.
•Can someone with a 4WD measure from the center of the axle tube to the center of the lower shock mount holes?

•Can someone measure the angle of the shock mounting bracket (at the bottom)?

•Can someone measure the angle of the top of the spring pad?

•Can someone with an angle finder measure the angle of the pinion yoke relative to the spring pad?

Does anyone live in southern Louisiana who wouldn't mind me pulling measurements from your truck?

Thanks

Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove to a salvage yard and grabbed measurements. The shock brackets are clocked 5 degrees downward on a 4WD rear axle. On a 2WD rear axle, the brackets are clocked downward 23 degrees. The measurements were taken with the spring pad level (0 degrees). The pinion angles are the same. I ground the welds from the shock brackets on my 2WD axle, re-clocked them to match the 5 degree downward angle for 4WD and welded them in place. I also installed the 4WD Dana cover (Dana part # 42434). So, I have effectively converted my 2WD Dana 80 axle to a 4WD axle.