12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Can't figure out why my truck won't start, please help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure out why my truck won't start, please help?

Hi all, I can't seem to get my 12v running, although it never really has ran well, it always had extensive cranking and little over it seemed.

I was taking the fuel play out, dropped one of the screws into the pump, tried to get it out with a magnet but couldn't, the truck say for maybe 3 or 4 moths before I had time to take the injector pump off. Once I took the pump off I had flipped it upside down shook it for a while until the screw came out. I timed the pump with Top Dead Center, put it all back together. (While the pump was off a friend of mine adjusted the "star" screw)

now that the trucks together, I primed it, possibly incorectly wouldn't start but it's pouring out clouds of white smoke.

I have replaced the unit inside the tank, all the fuellines, the lift pump, new filter, new WIF sensor, also cleaned out the filter right before the lift pump.

tried started it again, clouds of white smoke, I I adjusted the "star" screw down (now imy not sure how much the star screw should be adjust, or how much my friend turned it but I turned it way down)

now that I'm cranking over the motor, it's cranking over faster with no white smoke, turned the start screw up a little more, motor still cranking faster then it was with the smallest amount of white smoke

I don't know the it's the injectors or injector pump because it was running, I think maybe it's 150% airborne?

any ideas? I'm stumped.... thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Your pump is out of time. You need to pin time the engine, and pin time the pump. Clean the shaft and gear really good with brake clean before tightening. Prime it, fire it up.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I second this.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 AM

Maybe I pin timed the pump and motor wrong, but both pins were in place when I put the injector pump gear in place, everything was clean.

Could I just not be bleeding the air out of the fuel system correctly? What is the fuel bleeding procedure for this truck, I know the pump doesn't self bleed

Thanks guys

Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Diesel Bomber

It's also possible that your governor assembly is screwed up.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
It's also possible that your governor assembly is screwed up.
what is the governor assembly screw?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

OH! Hahaha. No, it isn't a screw. I meant the governor assembly could be damaged/worn out (i.e. "screwed up"). How many miles are on this engine?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
OH! Hahaha. No, it isn't a screw. I meant the governor assembly could be damaged/worn out (i.e. "screwed up"). How many miles are on this engine?
The motor has 150,000 ish

Old 02-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Diesel Bomber

I suppose it's still a possibility, but I really don't think it's the governor assembly then.