12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Two questions about 47re governor body restrictor plate and trans fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions about 47re governor body restrictor plate and trans fluid.

I have a 98 Dodge 2500 CTD with 230K on the clock. Bought the truck with 199K on the clock in good condition with a supposedly rebuilt 47re trans. Recently, I have been fighting a delayed 2-3 shift problem and a 2-3-2 shuttle shift problem.

Based on he kind advice offered by Rusty @ HTS I ordered up a BW governor solenoid/governor sensor/output speed sensor/filter kit and installed everything along with resetting both bands. I also installed a B&W trans pan drain, not wanting to take another trans fluid shower.

The good news is that the trans looked to be in great shape internally. Nothing at all in the pan but clean fluid. No grit, no metal. no nothing.

BTW, I can't say enough good things about Rusty @ HTS who took time out of his day to answer questions from a DIY wrench like me - first class guy.

While I was installing the governor solenoid and sensor, I noticed that the governor housing had a gasket under it and a steel restrictor plate (with a smaller fluid orifice) under that with no gasket between it and the surface.

Two things struck me. 1, doesn't seem like this would seal well, and 2, I've never heard mention of a steel restrictor plate under the governor body in any of the replacement threads I've seen.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is there supposed to be a restrictor plate under the governor body on a 98 47re?
2. If it's supposed to be there, is there supposed to be a gasket on top of and below the plate?

If the trans was, in fact, rebuilt, someone may have done something wrong. I just want to get it right.

Second issue is trans fluid. At the risk of starting a flame war, what is the best fluid to use in a stock transmission that appears to be in good shape internally? I've read lots of threads on how to prolong the life of a trans with slipping frictions, but that isn't the case here. My trans isn't slipping in any gear, just shifting weird.

From all the posts I've read, it seems like the consensus for an otherwise healthy trans is either Dex/Merc III or ATF-3. Any advice?

Thanks...Boatman

Last edited by Boatman; 01-25-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typos