12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Wiring problems or something

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problems or something

So first time posting but here's my issues. 1995 dodge 12 valve automatic. So when you turn the key the check engine light trans temp and wait to start come on but mine don't and when they don't work the rpm gauge doesn't work and it also doesn't charge the battery. It also doesn't shift into over drive or lock up the torque converter. I'm assuming the truck wouldn't start if it had the fuel solenoid but it's been removed and has a manual t handle instead. But that being said it doesn't have power opening the relay that would send power to the solenoid. I have replaced the ecm thinking it was that with a 400 dollar brand new one took me a long time to find.... I've replaced grounds and other bad wires to but it still isn't working any ideas or input would be great thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Default Had the same problem

My 12v had the same issues with the wiring that you've got. Rpm, wait to start, check engine, and transmission stuck in first gear. Don't ask how I managed to track down the wire if you see the hack job the previous owner did on my electrical, but it's a thin green wire going into the cab from the engine bay to the right of the brake fluid reservoir (wiring harness to cab). I cut the wire and ran a relay to a switch with an in-line fuse (30A I believe, but I'll ask my wife to look) to the section of wire going into the cab. All the wires are color coded so if you get a picture I should be able to help you. Unfortunately, I'm in Afghanistan right now otherwise I could pop my hood and check it out myself.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Yea the wire you are talking about or at least I think has a connection somewhere that has 5-6 other wires that are light green with a black stripe and all those wires each feed to one of the things that are messing up I just figured there was something in the ignition or somewhere else giving me the grief but I'll try and get a picture and see if I can do what you did