12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

HELP!Wheel stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!Wheel stuck

OK so recently I've had some brae issues where the brake light & abs would come on & then no brakes but only while in park.I've noticed that both of the wheels were getting hot so figured stuck caliper was going to do the brakes today.Then while on the way home to work I heard a bad squealing on pass side wheel next thing I know that wheel locked up.Took the caliper off still could barley move it.
Seems as if I move the hub/rotor backwards it moves easier.Both wheel's in the front look like this /\ pass side being worse.I have recently replaced tie rods,track bar ,steering stabilizer etc.So I figured that was just because I needed an alignment.Mt other Cummins is still down so I need to fix this.The big nut that holds everything on there looks like it's been pulled back in some by the way it looks behind the nut.I will try to post a pic .I'm worried it's something in the axle.Any suggestions? There was metal shavings on the top of the caliper cannot tell where it came from?Last nite while trying to pull out of a tight spot it felt like I had no power steering.Any help would be great appreciated thanks.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like either incredibly bad wheel bearings, bad axle U joints or seized diff. Questions: 1. any up and down play in the wheels? 2. With both front wheels off the ground can you turn either freely? If no, disconnect the front driveshaft and try again. If still no is either side easier? 3. Check the fluid level and condition in the diff. More into needed.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
OK so recently I've had some brae issues where the brake light & abs would come on & then no brakes but only while in park.I've noticed that both of the wheels were getting hot so figured stuck caliper was going to do the brakes today.Then while on the way home to work I heard a bad squealing on pass side wheel next thing I know that wheel locked up.Took the caliper off still could barley move it.
Seems as if I move the hub/rotor backwards it moves easier.Both wheel's in the front look like this /\ pass side being worse.I have recently replaced tie rods,track bar ,steering stabilizer etc.So I figured that was just because I needed an alignment.Mt other Cummins is still down so I need to fix this.The big nut that holds everything on there looks like it's been pulled back in some by the way it looks behind the nut.I will try to post a pic .I'm worried it's something in the axle.Any suggestions? There was metal shavings on the top of the caliper cannot tell where it came from?Last nite while trying to pull out of a tight spot it felt like I had no power steering.Any help would be great appreciated thanks.
Sounds like u have a seized when bearing to me ..... is this on the steer or drive ? from what I have read its steer but don't wanna assume....