12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

No fuel out of P7100

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel out of P7100

Hey, I'm fairly certain I was a member on here before with my 7.3 IDI Ford, but I could be mistaken, either way, Hey everybody.

Anyway, I've had this truck longer than anything else I've got, in fact, it was my Dad's.
94 12 Valve 5 speed, 157,000 miles, perfect interior, perfect dash, ruined windshield, ruined paint. It does need a shutoff solenoid, as it won't lift itself, I have to lift it manually.

Anyway, this truck sat since 07, Last August I got it going just by cracking the lines and bleeding them one by one. It fired up, and was fine putting around the property on the ancient fuel for about a week, until I parked it infront of the shed, with plans to throw some effort at it. Well that was August, this is May.

I changed the fuel filter, I filled it as much as I could, and bled it from the bleeder on top of it. Manually pumped the lift pump until I heard the overflow squeak. Tried to start, nothing.

Then I tried to bleed the injector lines themselves again, and now I'm not getting any fuel to them.

Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

air in the lines

Old 05-05-2016, 08:56 PM

I already figured that part out professor.

What I'm trying to do now is get rid of said air.

I bled the filter again, clear fuel. bled the supply line into the IP, clear fuel. Cracked the overflow loose and only got bubbles. Pumped the LP manually about 70-90 times, just got more bubbles.

Tried turning the engine over and never got any pressure, or even clear fuel.

Last edited by The Griff; 05-05-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

you can put some air to the fuel tank to see if lines are leaking. not to much pressure. the other thing you can do is have a buddy pull you since you have a 5 speed. sometimes it takes a while but it will work.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Alrighty, I got some progress today.
3 out of 6 cylinders have fuel with pressure.
Cylinders 3 and 6 both have fuel, but it's just bubbling out with no pressure. Number 5 has nothing, totally dry.

That was after about 5 hours of crank-look-crank.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Alright, it's running, but I feel it's still got low fuel pressure.

I can't get it to start without starting fluid, and once it is running It wants to idle around 350 RPM, and it has white haze out of the exhaust,

What could be causing low fuel pressure? Overflow valve? I know most of the rubber goods on the truck were replaced a few years before the truck was parked.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If you don't that might be a good thing to install.

Assuming there are no air/fuel leaks there are two things it might be. They are the overflow valve or the lift pump. One way to check is to pinch the return line and if the fuel pressure goes up then it would be the overflow valve if not then the fuel pump would be suspect.

Hopefully that helps

Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 PM

No I don't, Is there a way I can set up some kind of temporary one?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Changed the oil today, and whoa, It made all the difference in the world. Starting without ether, idling better, idling immediately on its own. It still has some gray smoke, but almost all the other issues are gone.

It should be said that this truck sat since 07, and its last oil change was prior to that.
I got 10 quarts of watery black gruel out of it.