12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

New to me 5.9

Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 5.9

So my dad found me a 97 dodge cummins extended cab 4x4 project (no he didn't buy it I did) haven't seen it yet but wanted to know what are some things to look out for on a 20 year old truck? I normally stick to what I know which is building jeeps but now I need something to pull my jeeps with had a brand new tundra disn't quite impress. 330k and a auto, other then the normal fluids changes and possible straight pipe exhaust what should I look into? It'll be asked to haul jeeps from one side of Texas to the other btw

Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Get gauges, fix the killer dowel pin. Drive it, find out how much more power you want and get back to us. The trans is gonna **** the bed one of these days as all dodges do so save your pennies for an upgrade. You will likely want to replace the factory lift pump with a electric one or replace it with a new one since it's likely original and will leave you stranded. And replace the over flow valve with tork tek one, something you will have to choose based on other desired mods. Check the condition of the fuel lines. Check the head gasket for external leaks. Not uncommon. Injectors if original will need replacing at some point as its not likely running 100% anymore. Stay away from cold air intakes, intake horns, and industrial injections. Money can be spent better elsewhere and with better companies

Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Diesel Fan

So far we think the cat is clogged seems to not be breathing right, for 4k$ though I couldn't pass it up. And ya I know that auto is living on borrowed time such is the way of autos. Thanks for the tips, it looks as though only regular maintenance was done up to a certain point, but it's been sitting up somewhere for awhile. As for gauges trans exhaust and boost?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Diesel Wrench

Yup, trans, pyro, boost. Fuel pressure isn't a bad one to have. But again I would decide your direction before spending money on certain things. If you do plan to spend money on it. Defiantly do the killer dowel pin asap. Also changing the harmonic balancer while your in there isn't a bad idea since they usually fail/ wear out long ago. Id go fluidamper just as a little insurance.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Diesel Wrench

And get isspro gauges. Preferably ev2's. They are far superior to autometer on installation ease and quality

Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, man If it was jeep I'd have it all figured out but this is all new. Soon as I get it street legal I'll get on the killer dowel pin and over flow valve thanks to youtube i seen what i have to do. Pull the injectors, hopefully not a pita and see what they look like. I'm not building a sled truck or a drag strip destroyer, mostly stock and fix common stock issues. I found some stuff on bhaf gonna look into that not sure what filter works to fit in the stock air tube yet? Wonder what type of auto it has and if there is a deep dish pan option for it? Also price some autos and converters as that'll be something I don't wanna trust to haul cross Texas but for now I'll get it flushed and add marvel mystery oil or Lucas oil additive not sure which is better?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Diesel Fan

It was 1 owner and kept clean till this other guy bought it and kept it as a ranch truck and still in really good shape clear coat is gone and some paint but I'm gonna do a fine sand to get rid of the old clear coat and re clear coat it to keep the pitina look. The time at the ranch as low idle and low speeds must of been what clogged the cat, doesn't matter cats are the devil anyways

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Get that cat out of there ASAP
Generally I point people to our vendors for parts, but you can't beat ebay for exhaust.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Diesel Fan

Trucks already at a exhaust shop getting straight piped, gonna kick it out in front of the rear tire for now see how that works out. It'll be a week before my hitch is over and I can see what I got myself into.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:32 AM
Diesel Wrench

Get an afe dry filter Bhaf and a filter condom from them. They work great and no need to buy oil.

Search this Thread