12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

cranks no start. Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cranks no start. Where to begin?

I have a 96 12v stock. Iv had it about 2 months. Had a 98 6.5l but this is a whole different animal. Daily driven. About 2 days ago I go to start in early morning. And it cranks and cranks but no start. I wait 5-10 mins try again. Starts no problem. Drive to work don't think of it again. This morning same thing, cranks and cranks, But now no start. I'm just looking to find out where to start with this project. Is there a different thread I should be on?... or I'm sure someone else has had this problem. Thanks for any help or guidance

Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you're in NY...you may be having fuel gelling problems. I'm in MI and I've noticed a HUGE difference in the fuel here compared to a couple years ago when I lived in Fairbanks AK. Have you tried an anti-gelling fuel additive? Does your truck have a block and oil pan heater on it? If so...plug it in and see what happens.
I've noticed fuel problems here at 25* above yet I've been able to plug my truck in and head out at 50 below in Fairbanks with no additives.
For me, if my truck takes too long to start, I give the lift pump a bunch of pumps and it seems to take off. You didn't say how it started after you got off of work...if it started like normal then it's probably temperature related

Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 PM

It did run normally after I left work. I'll try to get an additive for it tomorrow and see if that helps. That would be a nice easy fix. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 PM
Default Throttle cable

On my 94 i have some excess throttle cable and if you move the throttle arm back towards the cab it will fire right up. Just put a new stopper on and it won't happen anymore. Mine does the same exact thing.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

This happens when the fuel shut-off solenoid starts to go also. Next time it doesn't start, make sure the plunger on the solenoid is pushed all the way up. If you can push it up by hand and start it, you found the problem.