12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Egts still warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I moved my #0 plate to the middle now and the egts seem a tad hotter even.. I'm lost. Now I'm going to pull the plate all the way back and then if nothing I will put it back how ut was in the first place and buy an intercooler I'm thinking afe or mishimoto

Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Anyone?

Old 12-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Plate position shouldn't affect cruising egt. Just afc tuning for under boost fueling.an intercooler will help. How much not sure. Haven't compared stock to aftermarket yet. But 1200 part vs 50 dollar timing tool and an hour of work will likely result in more cooling. Stock timing and adding fuel and tuning and a slower spooling turbo is gonna result in higher egt's.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Idk I am not to happy about having tp advance timing. So I should play with the starwheel?

Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't remember reading what you have fir an exhaust system. . . What is it?

Old 12-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Diesel Wrench

And why is that? It's how to properly tune it. If you plan to add performance/ fuel / air timing should/ needs to be propotanite. Fortunately in diesels the detrimental effects of improper tuning isn't majorly destructive to the engine if you monitor it properly. But your loosing performance and potential. You wouldn't not time a gasoline vehicle with a turbo and modifying from stock. You'd grenade the engine. Your truck with injectors, 4gsk, and a turbo as well as tuning should be at least 16. Plus you have studs so there's no chance of head gasket issues. Id suggest a little higher since you can. Everything else is just throwing parts at an improperly tuned truck in my opinion. And it will never perform up to the standard you will probably hold it to. If you have absolutely everything to make 450hp you will likely fall 100hp or more short because your lack of timing. Can you mask your egt problem with a 1200$ intercooler. Ya a bit. But a 50$ timing tool will do the same if not more. Plus give you a performance and milage bump.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. Intercooler is masking the issue.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

5in exhaust to 7in stack... so im good their. When I bought the truck 6 years ago the timing was advanced and honestly I thought it ran like absolute trash.. so yes, I am afraid to advance timing because of that.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Diesel Wrench

By the sound or what? The only thing timing changes is sound. If you keep it under 20 degrees it shouldn't sound too much like a tractor. You can not time it. But you will never achieve a proper running truck. If it runs weird when timed then you probably have pump issues or something. Your asking how to get your egts down and you've also asked about your hp. This is the advice every one who knows 12v or any other engine for that matter will give you. Can you spend 2000$ or intercooler a and piping and intake horns and get a small egt drop. But it will never perform to the equivalent to any other similar truck. They all have timing. Other than maybe slims who's a fully stock truck. Every one on here has at least 16 degrees. Toss money at it for a small egt drop. It's your money. But the proper thing to do is time it, and continue on the process of tuning and modifications. But with 12 degrees of timing you will never achieve the power you expect. Your likely around 300 right now without timing. And you can throw all the fuel and air at it and it will never gain what you want because there's no timing.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'll look into advancing it to 16. How do I truly know how many degrees I have gone and how hard is it to do with everything thing on and in the truck. Can the pre-boost screw in the back of the afc housing lower egts or will it lower it and steal power.