12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1996 Chevy 6.5 to 12 valve swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Chevy 6.5 to 12 valve swap

If this isn't the right place for this someone please send me in the right direction....

So here it is... A mechanic talked me into letting him do a 12 valve swap on my 1996 Chevy 3/4 ton. After a year and some odd months of him not getting it done I told him that I want it back completed or not... I am no mechanic by any means but I know I got shorted on some parts so I'm needing a bit of help.

If there is anyone on here that has done this before I was wandering if you could tell me which body lift works best for this conversion. Also I was told I needed a lift pump to assist the mechanical one but I don't if that's true. Also I'm short an intercooler and a power steering pump. I think a few other things. Here are some pictures so maybe you guys can see what I'm working with

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Chevy 6.5 to 12 valve swap-image.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 PM

More

Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 PM

One more

Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like you need the intercooler piping, a hx 35 down pipe, air filter with piping, and you don't need a lift pump to help the mechanical one. That's all that the stock dodge trucks came with. The power steering pump is dependent upon whether or not you have, or want, hydro boost brakes or not. After putting on a few o'reilly's pumps that were no good or only lasted a short while I wouldn't recommend going that route. I don't know anything about the body lift. There is a truck running around here like yours that I don't think has a body lift on it. The oil line coming from the filter housing to the turbo looks like it has a bad link in it in your pic. I think I would replace it so as not to burn up the turbo by starving it for oil.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Well depending on you do it sometimes you don't need the body lift. But I know for a fact that I'm not clearing so the body lift is the first thing I need before I can do anything else.

Thank you for the help though I appreciate it