12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

camber/caster

Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber/caster

So my 95 2wd 12v I bought has a Camber/Caster issue. Its wearing the heck out of both inside shoulders on my front tires. I replaced tie rod ends and the upper and lower ball joints on both driver and passenger side and still have the issue.

What do I have to do to get it straightened out?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Diesel Fan

unit bearings will sag and eat the inside edge if the are bad, otherwise id bet its a positive tow issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Default reply

Like the hub bearing? Im just a little confused cuz like I said it's 2wd and the only things holding the hub on are the ball joints. When I had it apart I was looking for something to adjust or a caster bushing or something but there's nothing unless somehow I can adjust the upper control arm. But the wheel/hub bearings looked fine and were in good shape when I had everything off.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

*long pondering sigh*

usually. . . . there is an eccentric bolt somewhere on the upp control arm used to adjust camber.

could be a positive toe issue as noted. I know on twin traction beam Fords when the springs sagged out you'd run into camber issues. I wonder if that can be the case on a 2wd with control arms?

Honestly I don't know much about steering and how it all is affected by wear and tear.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm fairly certain both 4 and 2 wheel drives have the unit bearings which bolt to the knuckle with either 3 or 4 bolts depending on the weight capacity. Though they may not wiggle, they can be tested by jacking the front end up and sliding a tank bar under the wheel and lifting up. You would get a tiny bit of movement and possibly a clicking sound if they were bad. Most won't wiggle with just the hand test though. I would look for any kind of cam pin first, then check for shims between the control arm and the frame. Otherwise, I stick by my first two possibilities.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Diesel Fan

There can be no caster issue with an ifs front end. Just for the titles sake.

Search this Thread