12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

No Boostage--What Gives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Boostage--What Gives?

1997 Dodge Cummins 12V, OE turbo (HX35) and P7100, 215hp/440lbs.ft.; a 4-inch turbo-back pipe the only mod (if you don't count the boost gauge and pyrometer) (and the fact that it ain't in a Dodge no mo').

I noticed the boost gauge wasn't moving; duh. Gotta be the boost gauge feed hose. Nope--no joy. No compressed air leak sneakin' out at other ducting joints twix compressor outlet through intake manifold top, neither.

Then I went for a ride, city streets and highway and just had to mash the stoopid pedal. Repeatedly. Nothing...well, a strong naturally-aspirated diesel, but no turbocharger surprise for obnoxious rice-rocket fart boxes. No fast-building EGTs nor black smoke, either.

Then I filled up...and the thing is getting way better gas mileage. OK, no boost, no fuel enrichment, I sorta gets it.

I pulled the air filter hose off, and fired 'er up. The turbine sucked air hard (I still have to explain my to my neighbor 'bout his missin' cat...).

Obviously, the fuel's pump's not seeing any reference boost along with the engine not seeing any manifold pressure.

Could it be the wastegate is stuck open? Underneath, the wastegate and its connecting rod moved easily by, er, finger.

What is going on?

Eddie

Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I would say WG...

Pull the cac pipe @ intake and power brake it and see how much air is movin ..

The following users liked this post:
The Eddie (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

the wastegate rod should not move easy it should be spring loaded closed. That is where you should look for your problem

The following users liked this post:
The Eddie (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanx, guys, I'll jump on both suggestions in detail manana after I gets back from running.

Gots other plans for tonight, which may involve mugs of a certain cold, frothy, amber liquid. IT's FRIEDAAY!

Eddie, The

Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Diesel Bomber

.. any new results ?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
.. any new results ?
Ummmm...nope

(whining) In my pathetic "defense", it rained all weekend and today as well (sniff). Truck sits in driveway, and I might have gotten wet!

Eddie

Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Diesel Bomber

LMBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I aint the onlyone who melts !!!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Default YAY! I Likes It When Somebody Gets It...

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
LMBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I aint the onlyone who melts !!!!!
...don't know that your "Getting It" is a mental health Reel Good Thing, tho...Beware...

Super-nice day outside today, so I had no excuse, er, "reason" for not flopping a chunk of cardboard* down on the driveway and sliding on it underneath El Troca Blanca and trying to move the diaphragm-to-wastegate connecting rod; "trying" being the operative word here.

And Herself had the only working flashlight in the house (the bit@#h) so I couldn't use that excuse, err, "reason"; something about "Hurricane Preparedness" (I always thot "Hurricane Preparedness" meant filling the bathtubs fulla I ice and 108 cases of cheap beer). Nobody wanted to hear about the swarming mosquitoes, lying on vicious pecans on concrete, nor my gettin' eat up by the Ebola, neither.

1. Wastegate wouldn't move, both with (a) direct connecting rod hand pressure/hand torque on the wastegate valve axis' throw (the connecting rod that connects the wastegate's valve's axle via (b) the connecting rod itself.

Keep the connecting rod /crankshaft analogy in mind; we're talking about a con-rod/crankshaft small-end relationship here. Sooooo...the connecting rod could be seized OR the spring could be too stiff for the slight amount amount of pressure I could put on it; a really convoluted reach to that connecting rod--one of those arm-reaches where you really need four or five extra elbow joints (available via alien abduction, I hear, "probes" included. Handy, but forgettaboutit). I seem to almost remember my being able to move that rod before, though (scary thot, that).

2. The wastegate's "small-end" crank throw was positioned across the centerline of the turbine downtube, i.e., across the exhaust flow. In normal mechanical terms, the valve should be closed.

Didn't try checking compressor output directly; maybe tomorrow. Maybe not. Keep in mind that there is a small fine-thread metric nut (a 5/16 hex bit almost works here) that I gotsta unscrew. My battery-operated drill battery was dead, which means I hadda recharge it. Never mind the 5/16 bit wasn't screwed in. I woulda hadda get out my 125VAC drill motor and an extension cord AND that would have been work. (sniff)

Eddie

*Cheap-*** chinese cardboard IS superior for sliding across 'cause it's so slick (from all the lead that puts in it).

Last edited by The Eddie; 10-14-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: crappy punctuation
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I like the humor in this, but it makes responding difficult. I'll be the straight edge guy that doesn't drink here! From the sounds of everything... What about a bad boost gauge itself.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Diesel Bomber

Sounds like you may have a stuck waste gate then ... thanks for the read .. LOL