12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

no low end power

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no low end power

So i have a 1995 dodge cummins single cab long bed with 142000 miles
4'' turbo back, cold air intake, gauges, #100 fuel plate, bd waste gate that hits 32 psi, built transmission with billit input shaft and triple disc torque converter.

my truck is fairly stock but i feel like i shouldn't have to wait untill im going about 70 mph to hit my boost peak of 32 psi, my truck is slow and then it takes off like a slingshot, is this how it is supposed to be and how do i get this this to accelerate? new to the site. Thank you

Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Is your afc tuned at all? How much does it smoke? You could be drowning it out with fuel. Smoke is not power, which I'm sure your aware of.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 PM

It doesn't really smoke at all, if I give her full throttle I get a puff. I have adjusted my atarwheel it's almost out of sight towards the front of motor , so probably as loose as it goes. I have the timing set to 16.5. I have not messed with the afc. I don't really care for smoke unless it gets me the power I want. I was going to looking down and see where the nose is hitting the plate . How would I adjust the afc or that housing to be where I want it?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Is it possible to make me hit 32 psi, earlier?

Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Diesel Wrench

In my personal experience with a stockish truck with just a cold air and 50 sticks on a 180 pump. We clamped the gate (would hit 35) pushed the stock plate full forward which looked very much like a banks plate and was labeled 8 so potentially an aftermarket plate. Afc full forward. And star wheel almost totally loose. A 4gsk and 3.5 intake horn and intercooler pipes. Was a bit smokey but was always in some boost and spiked by 1800 or so. If you don't have a 4gsk that might be the reason. They are pretty doggy with only 2500 rpm to play with. Some smoke is good I find on 12v. Just not excessive. This was all with poor tuning knowing more was coming. On a stock truck is push the housing full forward. Do the afc mods and probably to pull the smoke screw most of the way out like backed off so the housing is the stock. This will help with the lower mid range power. But won't over fuel too bad under 0 boost. Once you've done that check your smoke levels and adjust accordingly. It's about a fine balance between having the most afc housing forward with as little pre boost smoke as possible but still retaining some and then tuning the star wheel. 4 gsk will def help if you don't have it aswell. Very cheap mod

Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

welcome to a stock 12 valve the slowest thing on the road!!!! it cost money to go fast.

4k govoner springs a boost elbow girnd your fuel plate then a good fiddling with your AFC make sure the stock lift pump is lift pumping install a good overflow walve and vuala you still have something that is slower than a geo however it will get up and go much better than it does now. definatly do the govoner springs first this is by far and away the biggest bang for your buck.

think about it your trying to move a 7k brick through the air with a 160hp engine. maybe 225-250 when you do as listed above. hell honda civics make that much power anymore and weight 3k LBS. you can make all the torque in the world and still drive something you can out run on foot. HP is what gets you going fast fast and tq is what maintains the work once your there. when you start dumping GOBBS of money and time into these creatures however the game changes and the stigma of the 12 valve shows. but stock they are MASSIVE disapointment if you thought you just bought a race truck.

Last edited by turbo2332; 09-03-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Diesel Wrench

I some what agree with your statement turbo2332 but I think that's underestimating our trucks a fair bit with cheap and simple mods. My 12 when I purchased it was a stock 175 horse truck with not ideal gearing. Maxed stock setting ie. afc ff, a 10 plate, Ff, star wheel ff, no injectors, a 4gsk and springs, and a he351 swap and an air dog. And possibly timing, sounds real times out and hits boost hard blew the stock gasket in not time and on stock fuel could spin the he to 42 I'm seconds. And as a real comparison no seat of pants bs. I walked on my buddies tuned and bolt on'd 2012 ralli art for those who don't know it's no slow civic si. Probably a mid to low 13 sec car on a strip, no word of a lie and that was in 4th and only 3/4 throttle because I was worried about my hg at the time. With proper tuning and the right amount of air these trucks can make serious power for very little. Also would like to mention the 14 ss camaro that only pulled on me until I hit full boost and then he hardly pulled a inch. These aren't race cars by any means but are easily made into monsters with the right set up.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

its taken me about 15k building everything myself to build a NICE mid 12 second daily driver. not saying it cant be done for less but to make it look good and work well is salty, by far and away the diesel fuel game is the most expensive hobby i have ever played in input $ for HP output. ive owned this particular truck since 52k miles and the original wiper blades.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Diesel Wrench

That's not terrible considering what else our trucks can do other than go fast. And auto trannies are where the money is. Assuming yours is an auto you've really only spent 7 on the power making. Not that that's not a lot but still, 2 grand in a turbo and manifold set up maybe almost 3. Some injectors and fuel mods another grand or so, head studs and other supporting things another grand lift pump and exhaust another grand or 2 depending what you all do and your at 7 grand pretty quick be realistically haven't done all that much. Opposed to a small block Chevy which will take that much to rebuild and get even close to 500 wheel in car or truck plus will only get a couple miles per gallon and will get hot when towing. I think there are a lot more smiles per gallon and per dollar when it comes to diesels especially 12 valves. Good on your for 12'a by the way. I wish I could do that but the stick is holding me back from anything but a street machine.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Hell I have only spent 3500 since I bought my truck .. I can be @ the end of the on ramp here in Seattle and I'm @ 70 mph ..

just changed gears to 3.55's .. now it really makes it go .. ( now I have to tune the smoke out .. LOL

I beat most hondas and ricers .. ... but .. with that said .. I am also careful not to beat on it when the engine is cold .. found out what happens when you do that..

Quick Reply: no low end power