12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

rookie suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rookie suspension advice

I'm making headway with my truck finally. I have been researching suspension systems and was hoping more experienced individuals could help. My goal is to handle like a dream on the street st good speeds, not be too fragile that I cant take her through trails, and also give it 2"-4" of lift for that aggressive stance. Anyone have any good ideas? I have been looking into long travel but want more opinions

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Well its never gonna ride like a dream. Is it 4x4? their a company I will have to look for it that sell a leveling kit for 600 bucks that include extended lower control arms, new coil springs that add the 2inches of lift, and shocks. Which will keep the geometry up front correct, unlike the cheap 60 dollar coil spring spacers.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Yea I know I'm going to put in polyurethane bushings in and I want to do it right so spacers is not the route I'm looking for. It is 4x4 and I know it'll never ride like a Corvette but I'm talking being able to fly through corners but be as smooth as possible while doing so...Ik its a lot to ask out of suspension but Im trying to make it the best truck I can

Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

That and its got a solid front axel, I asked for types a kits about a year-two years ago on here trying to find it, but if you can get a good kit it will ride better and steer better, make sure all you ball joints, tie rods, track bar is in good shape..

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Diesel Fan

I was considering going independent suspension all the way around but solid rears are best for trails and mud... or so I hear

Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

also going with hydraulic shocks and not Gas charged shocks , it will ride smoother, as gas schocks do have a tendoncy to rebound violently at times ...

I installed Pro-Comp rs 3000's ... the F250 rides like a Caddy , even the wife likes driving in the Furd now !!!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IFS and IRS are no good for offroading unless you are into something purpose built like the H1. Stick with solid axles and just get a good brand name kit. Your best bet would be trying Pirate 4x4 as there are a ton of guys building some amazing machines over there. Trust me though, look around and search before you ask, these guys are for the most part hard on newbies asking stupid questions that have been asked 100 times before.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Diesel Fan

Well finding a thread with the right answers isn't always easy. I'm sure almost every question imaginable has been asked already. Asking my own just helps me get a more direct answer to the small detailed questions I have.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuzco
Well finding a thread with the right answers isn't always easy. I'm sure almost every question imaginable has been asked already. Asking my own just helps me get a more direct answer to the small detailed questions I have.
I agree 100%, I am just cautioning you about that site, they are hardcore and they think that everyone that attends the site should be as well. Do not get me wrong, they are great people if you want information, but my suggestion to go there and read before asking is for your own sanity .

Old 06-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

IFS can be built for off-road .. but $$$$ will be a big problem unless you have plenty of it ... It is great for articulation, but at a sacrifice of strenght ...

I know for the chevy's they have some good HD CV shafts and such .. but $$$..

Quick Reply: rookie suspension advice