12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Help Dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Dana 60

Hi,

My dana 60 is leaking and Im about to pick up a replacement unit.

is there a way I can protect the gears in the pumpkin? Will removing shafts do harm to the bearings? Or should I remove the carrier? I dont mind it being a RWD for now.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Where is it leaking From ?

Axle seal, diff cover, or ???

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Pinion seal mostly... but Im putting a ford axle in it soon, so have little interest at fixing it at the time. Just want to avoid damaging it for when the time comes for a rebuilt.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Serious question: if you're going to rebuild it, why worry about damaging bearings?

You can remove the carrier, but running it dry with the shafts in probably won't be good for the bearings anyway. May as well go ahead and gut it. Not sure how comfortable I'd be driving around with a 6BT sitting on empty tubes, though. Probably not an issue because it's sprung weight on the perches, but the thought of it makes my nose wrinkle.

A pinion seal is only $5, afterall. Why not just fix the leak and have 4 wheel drive until you make the swap?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Thats a valid suggestion. However, given that the buxkets are gone, one perch needs welding back and amount of rust which turns a 10 minute project to all day event I rather not start that project. Im asking because I have to use the truck tomorrow all day and didnt want to risk the thing stranding me somewhere. But your input is appreciated... I guess ill just throw some more fluid in there for now and keep them bearings moist.

thanx

Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

yeah, better to fix the leak, and you can get new fabbed perches and weld those on ... its really simple .. and you avoid the Furd swap .. Because you will need to replace U-bolts and brake lines most likley to do the swap .. and by that time your already over what you would spend on a seal and a set of Lazer cut axle perches ....

BTF Spring Perch; 14 Bolt/Dana 60; 2.5" Leaf; 3 1/8"-3 3/8" Tube :: Blue Torch Fab

These would be perfect and cheep ... just an alternitive to all that guessing .. dodge and ford axles typically have different perch widths .. chevy one's are real narrow

Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Meh not a fan of laser cut perches... I prefer my perches to be hand cut with a metal saw using a solo cup as a template....

jokes aside.... today was a long day so perhaps Im being a bit confusing.

Front Dana 60 looks like this: http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/tech/dodge/1308_2009_dodge_ram_2500_project_big_horn_part_2/53322921/2009-dodge-ram-2500-project-big-horn-part-2-drivers-dide-spring.jpg

I was doing brakes a while back and used the extension to the bracket and use power steering to push out the bearing hub assembly and I done goofed by ripping half of the bracket off the axle. To clarify the bracket is where axle links and spring sits on... so those perches although very nice wont do much.

While I did the brakes I inspected the bearings one has to have a flat spot as it wont turn smoothly at a point, the other one is sluggish... no grinding yet but soooon they will need replacement thats 2x$100.

Additionally Im not a fan of 4.10... I live in Northeast and u cant get anywhere without hitting the highway, driving like the world is about to end, flipping people off and driving like a general douche... and 4.10s are preventing me from accomplishing that.

So 3.54/3.55 comes as an idea. Ford axle is high pinion rev cut, no annoying bearings.... I will need to fab and weld brackets to the axle anyways as one is goofed and spring buckets need replacement.

so I can score a ford d60 for $450 get rid of CAD, stupid bearings and 12 point bolts that are 10 bux a pop and live the dream of maxin out down the highway at 74.8793mph instead of 70!

so thats the story of my reluctance to mess with the dodge axle. Considering its condition I would only rebuild it to sell it... not sure if I will do that or bring that anchor to a scrap yard.... as to the axle gears why purposely ruin them? Perhaps someone would need a 4.10 d60 gears and voila here they are...

And thats the story of my Ram...

Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not that you have to justify it, but getting rid of CAD is reason enough to make the swap.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:11 AM

I think so too. Only drawback is that the 4x4 indicator light may not work... I thinks dodges sensor is at the axle... fords off of transfer case... but thats just cosmetics.

Who wants to buy a custom dodge dana 60 with such mods as bucket eliminators, oil less conversion, ball joint castle nut eliminators (aircraft grade coat hanger wire mod) I will even remove the cover so you can cool gears ram style. This lightened version of d60 sports highly desirable 4.10 gears. If you pull with your truck you want this bad boy underneath for maximum security, increased towing capacity and mpg improvement so great Im afraid to list it in fear of getting sued by Dana Corp. One of a kind! Will ship to your local junk yard!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool project. More pics. I hope to do the same with a Ford KP60, but on leaves. I know what people will say, but stupid easy and these trucks already drive like a combine so why not?
Good job man. What'd you have to give for the new axle?

Last edited by yjay; 06-14-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Dana 60