12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

95 SLT What too look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SLT What too look for

hey everyone i found a 95 SLT 12V it needs an Injection pump and some other minor steering stuff. i live in northern Ontario Canada and the truck is CLEAN no rust holes some minor surface rust but thats all. the guy wants 2000 for the truck which is cheap here. what should i look for?

also if it turns out to be a good buy what are the best low money mods to make 400hp and 850-1000ft-lbs of torque?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'd buy that truck just as a parts truck for 2 grand!

Problems? well, all the U joints, front wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends are always problematic.

There are no low money mods to do what you want. I'd start with a boost elbow, some guages, then put 3k governor springs in it and grind the fuel plate. That's under $200
That's enough to wake the truck up in a big way.

Shortly after that you'll be buying an aftermarket clutch ($1000, or in the case of an auto, a tranny and TC (much more $$)
With luck, if it has a NV4500, it'll hold up.

Then you might put injectors and head studs in, that will probably be $1500, and perhaps you can find a reworked stock turbo with an upgraded compressor wheel for a few hundred bucks, that's what mine has and I'm quite happy with it.

my basically stock engine has already snapped the tranny input shaft, and I think I'm at about 300 HP / 7-800 ft lb

The following users liked this post:
Caveman94 (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i ran just under 500hp on a stock input shaft for years and wasnt exactly easy on it. took it out on this last build and it was visually hurt but still kicking. no drag racing or sled pulling but definatly a weekend warrior. cant believe the autos are still getting bashed. a desent single disc converter and a shift kit will hold your hp goals for a long long time. you will be in the $1000 range with an auto just the same as with a standard.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3 options in performance.. Cheap, Reliable, Powerful.. you can only pick 2 though.

I've found that to be very true.

My truck is a DD, but I also tow 6 ton of livestock with it a few times a year on hilly roads... The last thing I need is a breakdown with cattle in the trailer! I don't know, perhaps I'm underestimating my power? I've never shifted it hard or sidestepped the clutch.
New engine should have more peak power, but I'm not looking for more torque.