12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Weird steering problem - wheel won't return to center on right turns...Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird steering problem - wheel won't return to center on right turns...Any ideas???

Out of the blue, my 98 2500 4wd Cummins with 215K on the clock suddenly starts with this weird problem. The steering wheel won't return to center after a right turn and the steering is stiff getting back to center.

Left hand turns are fine and the wheel returns as it should. Nothing odd driving straight. Right hand turns are not hard making the turn, just returning from it.

Power steering pump is making no weird noises. Not low on fluid. No leaks apparent. Haven't done anything to the truck recently. No recent mods or changes. Truck is not lifted. Only mod is 16x8 rims with Kumho 315/70 16s, but I put this set up on over a year ago and no problems of any kind till now.

Normally I'd suspect the pump, but they usually make noises before they crap out. And problems are usually in both directions, not just one.

Anyone got any ideas or diagnostic tests I can try before throwing parts at it?

Thanks...Steve.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could one of the return lines have a blockage in it? what does the fluid look like?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Don't think it's a return line probem...

I think if it was a problem in the return line, it would happen when turning in both directions.

The fluid looks OK. It's not clear, but it's not burnt. When it was running, I took off the cap and didn't see any aeration.

Still not sure what's going on.

Thanks...Steve.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought a seal kit the other day for my steering gear box,haven't got it in yet, but i did it had a diagram in the box and i remember seeing something about some kind of valves. could one of these valves be stuck partially open or closed? never been inside one of these gear boxes so i don't know.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Could be...

Never been inside one of these steering boxes. Worth checking into to see if that could be the cause.

Thanks...Steve.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maybe...

Could it be an axle joint out?
Maybe a tie rod end?
DD

Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There are some kind of check valves in the gearbox and one is probably stuck. I had a ford that done the same thing once changed the gear box and that fixed it.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Can I get the steering box valves?

Has anyone tried to do this kind of repair? Possible? Difficult? Special tools?

Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Thanks...Steve.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe a dumb question but... you haven't hit anything lately have you? Pot hole, curb, etc? Mine did exactly what it sounds like you're describing once, and it turned out to be the alignment was out. I'm not sure how it slipped, as it was out of the blue, but an alignment fixed it for me.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Didn't hit anything...

Actually, I'd just dug the truck out from under the recent snow and ice and took a short hop across town to shovel snow off our boat that we leave in the water. Left turns fine. No noise. No dragging. First right turn, the steering wheel won't center and I have to grunt it back to center. Once on center, no pulling or dragging in either direction. After that, every right turn, same thing.

Truly weird.

Steve.

Quick Reply: Weird steering problem - wheel won't return to center on right turns...Any ideas???