12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

fuel problems on my 95 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problems on my 95 12 valve

I Have A 1995 12 Valve 5 Speed 4X4. On Monday Here In Ohio It Was Negative 30 With The Wind Chill. My Truck Is Always Plugged In Not To Mention It Has 265,000 Miles On It. I Know What I Did Was Stupid So.Please No Condescending Comments. With An Eighth Of A Tank Of Fuel I Tried To Go Start It On Monday. It Ran (Badly I Might Add) For About 20 Seconds Then Shut Off And Hasn't Started Since. All Week I've Been Trying To Start It Priming It Cranking I, It Would Spit And Sputter Like It Wanted To Start But Never Fired. I Poured The Correct Amount Of Red 911 In The Tank And Tried. Still Sputtered But No fire So I Replaced The Fuel Filter. Poured Half Fuel Half 911 In The Filter Like It Says On The Jug And Now It Won't Even Sputter. Just Cranks All day And Doesn't Even Try To Start. Cracked The Injectors And Number 4 Oozes Slightly Number 1 U Can Barely See Get Any Fuel And None Of The Other Injectors Are Getting Fuel. My Local Advance Auto Expert Said It.could Be My Lift Pump But Idk Because It Sputtered And Tried To Fire Up Until I Replaced The Fuel Filter. I Don't Want To Buy A Lift Pump And Especially Not A Top Pump If It's Just Air In The Lines But Idk What To Do Now. Any Help Would Be Appreciated Thanks. PS It's 50 Degrees Here Now And Still Won't Start.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

add fuel .... then re-prime ... I would imagine it would start then ..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
add fuel .... then re-prime ... I would imagine it would start then ..
Thanks For The Help. I've Been Priming It All Say And Yesterday And Still Nothing. Injectors Really Aren't Even Squirting Fuel. Just The Number 4 Injector Is(Seeping And Bubbling) Ever So Slightly. If You Aren't Paying Attention U Wouldn't Even Notice And That's With The Nut All The Way Off The Top Of The Injector.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm in Ohio as well, my truck was froze all last week, it just fired up two days ago with almost your symptoms. The fuel line between the LP and my fuel heater was froze. When I removed the line, it was gelled I guess. It looked like dried silicone in the line. Never seen anything like it. I reinstalled the fuel line and cracked it, but my truck did fire right up, but leaked. I'm waiting on my new fuel line now. My truck was plugged in as well. Good luck, just my .02

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I was running power service too during my freeze, with a fuel tank of fuel.

Last edited by Billy D; 01-12-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Billy D
I'm in Ohio as well, my truck was froze all last week, it just fired up two days ago with almost your symptoms. The fuel line between the LP and my fuel heater was froze. When I removed the line, it was gelled I guess. It looked like dried silicone in the line. Never seen anything like it. I reinstalled the fuel line and cracked it, but my truck did fire right up, but leaked. I'm waiting on my new fuel line now. My truck was plugged in as well. Good luck, just my .02

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I was running power service too during my freeze, with a fuel tank of fuel.

Well As An Update We Took The Fuel Filter Back.Off And The Line From The Filter To.The Injector.Pump. Turned It Over And No Fuel Is Flowing Anywhere. Not To.The Filter Not Out Of The Filter Mount Nothing. Would That Mean Mt Lift Pump Is Bad.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

This isn't going to help with your problem, but.
If you turn off the caps lock, your posts won't look like that anymore.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

might have poped the diaphram in the Lp ... hook it up alone to a can of fuel to check when u can ... verify its not working before replacing it ...

Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air leak?

Air leak?
Factory fuel system? Original LP?
My original LP primer bubble cracked and drew in air.
Can you check system for air leaks from tank to injector pump?
Another year my fuel heater electrical connection began to leak air into the system.
I live in Nebraska and I deleted the fuel heater also with no problems.
Both problems presented the same scenario you currently describe.
Also, there are rubber lines from the tank to frame.
Hope it helps.
DD

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with Diesel Duo on this one. I'm in NC, so I've never had my truck freeze, but I had the primer button on my lift pump crack. It started with the weep and the worse it got, the closer to your symptoms I got. The lift pump is easy to disassemble, so if you've already checked your pre-heater lines for cracks and obstructions, I'd ****** it out and inspect the button and plunger. If it checks out ok, you know to move onto the next part of the fuel system.

I know it's a p.i.t.a., I hate it for you, man. If it turns out to be your LP, let me know and I'll poke around and see if I have a spare. I just gutted a running '95, so I might still have it laying around.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Sounds like your lift pump is shot. Lets hope it didn't take the fuel pump with it.

Quick Reply: fuel problems on my 95 12 valve