12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Exhaust recommendation and more ...

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust recommendation and more ...

Well I picked up my first Dodge last week for what I think was a deal.
A 95 model 2500 5 speed 2wd. The guy I got it from said he was the 2nd owner and he bought it from a farmer.

Truck looks like a typical farm truck with normal dents and dings but is only showing 138k , cranks and drives great, and no gooseneck hitch ever so probably never much hard towing use.

Now the bad.. owner # 2 put some home stacks on it that are garbage pieced together.

This truck was purchased as a third vehicle basically for nothing but towing my tractor (8k tractor and trailer) back and forth to my lease (100 mile rd trip) 3 or 4 times a year and other odd hauling duties at other times.

While I dont mind a little sound , I dont want it too loud.
Im looking to put a full 4" exhaust on it and right now am looking at MBRP kits for under $300. But I havent found too many reviews or comments about them online.
From what little I have found some people say if too quite can turn the muffler around to get more sound if wanted.

I know there are more expensive/better kits out there but I cant justify too much for no more than it will be used.

Any comments good or bad about the MBRP kits ? Which do you guys prefer.. tailpipe exiting straight out the side like stock, or the angled back tailpipes ?

Any other tips to help towing performance wise and retain reliability while not breaking the bank? I can justify about another $1500 to put into it for mild mods.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't really go wrong with exhausts on these truck IMO. As long as its mandrel bent, i wouldn't bat an eye at it. I have RBP's 5" straight pipe on mine paid i think $309 shipped.

Here

Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just yesterday put on the 4" MBRP turbo back installer kit I picked up for $270 shipped. I went with the tail pipe model that is angled back and not straight out like stock.

It went on very easy. did not even have to jack the truck up or anything else to get it on. Took right at a hour to do.

I put the muffler with the baffles facing forward. Its way quieter than the 6" stacks and straight pipe that was on it.

Someone has been into the pump on it. It smokes fairly well when you goose it. id like to turn that down some. At idle it smells real rich burning.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Good on the Exhaust... as far as the fuel ... if you turn it down you will loose mpg and power .... diesel is almost completly the oppisite from gassers .... when u add fuel you add power and there fore the less input you need and hence the more mpg ( normally ) ... with gass the more you add the worse it gets and the more power the more you have to add.....

this is where turbo(s) are the equalizers in the power/MPG game .... there are manny posts here on how to "Properly" tune a Cummins ... read as manny of them as it takes before you begin tinkering too much ... and the power ..... is totally addictive

Search this Thread