12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Governor spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor spring

I have read that you can tighten the spring down 3-4 clicks and your engine revs a lot better. Is there any truth to this and is there any risk of any kind of damage to anything?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

what I hink your efering to is the star wheel, and ys it will help and if your not ready for some engine wrk it can hurt also, the star wheel will decide when you get the fuel, the plate decides how much fuel you will get, and the smoke crew will determine how much no boost uel you get, more or less in a nut shell...

the problem with adjusting with ou warnings is all of these "performance mods" willadd to cyliner pressure which can cause the cylinder head to lift @ boost levels over 35-40 psi.
also @ high rmp on a stock set up the water pump pushes quie hard and along with high boost you run the risk of poping the head gasket..

All this beng said, a good set of studs, and your set to go to around 450 Hp.. over that you will need more work, also coolant bypass isnt a bad idea, it will re-route the coolant pressure from behind the thermostat to the rear of the head instead... reducing the risk of poping o lifting the cylinder head..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Diesel Fan

It is in the shop getting timing set at 16* , KDP fixed, fuel plated modded, AFC housing slid forward, adjustable boost elbow, new gauges, star wheel adjusted, and BHAF installed. will a 3k GSK help much?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

yes, but as I said , if you continue to mod, like timing , your adding cylinder pressure, adding fuel adds even more pressure, more CFM add's cylinder pressure, ect ... all WILL pop a head gasket..... stud it or pay the price is all I'm trying to say, I have a bad HG now because I wasnt informed before I modded mine and now I have to pay through the nose to fix it all ...... thankfully I have a shop and a real nice boss that dosent mind, but in the end its now gonna cost me more because now I know that for my power levels I need O-ringed head ( 500 hp or more - or 40psi or more), studs are about 500.00 on E-bay, do it or be in the boat with me .....LOL

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok, thanks