12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Power Loss, Higher Egt's, Boost fine, Low idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

had an excavator in the shop the other day. very low power with gobbbs of black smoke. was a restricted fuel system and 1 weak injection pump. strange but it was black smoking because of fuel starvation.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2332
had an excavator in the shop the other day. very low power with gobbbs of black smoke. was a restricted fuel system and 1 weak injection pump. strange but it was black smoking because of fuel starvation.
^ That's a very interesting situation! I have to keep that in mind for a possible future reference.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Black only meens fuel if u know its been cranked up ...... also a misadjusted valves would make it run like crap ..... don't take it back to that place ...... wait ..... take it back and demand that they make it right ..... make a stink about it .... especially if the valves are out of adj. This can cause engine damage .....

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said it ran great after the valve adjustment and fuel filter change, really great. Lots of power. The shop told me I had air in my injector lines and they bled it for me while they were adjusting the valves. Also said I had a slight injector gasket leak but it "wouldn't hurt nothin" and a slight reuturn line seep that also "wouldn't hurt nothin"

I was easily passing people going 85-95 on high way, getting 30psi no problem. Messing around with my buddy and his honda accord on the freeway. Basically doggin on it here and there (not over doing it).

Up in colorado, I was merging on and off the freeway after the dingus in the back seat misdirected us and there was lots of quick heavy acceleration, this is when the problem arose. Almost felt like lack of torque converter lock up off the line, gobs of black smoke, quck jumping egt's, low idle.

Fast forward, I get the Lift Pump replaced, Power is noticeably better, but not back to what I was used to. (Shop didn't find anything else wrong besides lift pump) EGT's still jump quickly.

Before this whole thing happened I would start it, it would stick no more that 200 on the Pyro warming up. Now it jumps really qiuckley right after start up even at idle to 300.

Cruising around town doing 35-55mph it is around 5-6 easily jumps under light acceleration, up to 7,8,900 if I gun it. If I put it to the floor merging onto the highway boost jumps very quickly, almost quicker than it used to, you can feel the truck "building up steam" then it surges forward after about a second This makes the EGT's briefly jump up to 1100.

If I give her all she's got and wind her up in the fast lane, at peak 2000rpm-2300rpm, for a second or 2 egts hit 13-1400. Normally (before the colorado) I had never seen more than 1200. And they were much slower to climb.

Its almost like its trying to get there but has "nothing to push against" (this became better and not so noticeable after the LP replacement but still not as much power as I am used to) trying to describe the sensation to you guys, but its hard to get the picture across completely.

Smoke is black coming out, no white smoke. Blow by is extremely minimal (268kmi).

Had a shop over the phone tell me it sounded like the p1700 was going out, and I'd have to replace it and the lp all over again, I didn't like the sound of that at all, because the same place that did the LP said my IP souldn't have been damaged.

I just wan't my baby running back the way she used to, I'm a hottrodder and car lover to the bone, and I can't sleep right till she's back the way I remember running. I need to get this figured out once and for all, so All you vetrens out there please help me out.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm throwing this out there, but could it possibly be the throttle position sensor? My thinking was that if that was going out it could not build as much pressure in the transmission, in result not building enough load to build boost properly? So that would cause your air/fuel ratio to be richer than normal causing higher EGTs..

Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Diesel Fan

I might as well start there. The Trans doesn't seem to shift weird though.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

Ok what your describing makes more sence ..... ok your boost sensor line must have a hole in it causing low fuel pressure VIA the afc ...... so from the turbo to the afc housing ... pull the line and install a new one ... just for temp and then run it around for a bit .... if that dosent help re post ....

Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
Ok what your describing makes more sence ..... ok your boost sensor line must have a hole in it causing low fuel pressure VIA the afc ...... so from the turbo to the afc housing ... pull the line and install a new one ... just for temp and then run it around for a bit .... if that dosent help re post ....
That's the first fresh Idea I've heard all month. If that is it I'm going to be pissed about having to pay for a new lift pump. I will definitely do that, my gut told me it was a turbo issue, but no one else seemed to think so. Thanks so much! I hope it works!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok I can't find a part called that. Is there a more technical name for "boost sensor line" i should be using?

Last edited by Thelast12v; 10-10-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Diesel Bomber

Its the boost sense line or some crap like that ... should be between valve cover 3-4 ish or might even come from the back of the head to the AFC housing ... it tells the AFC when to give fuel based on the level of current boost...... I hope thats what it is too .. and you needed that lift pump anyways .... it did help right ?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
Its the boost sense line or some crap like that ... should be between valve cover 3-4 ish or might even come from the back of the head to the AFC housing ... it tells the AFC when to give fuel based on the level of current boost...... I hope thats what it is too .. and you needed that lift pump anyways .... it did help right ?
Honestly I think the difference I felt from the LP was Placibo. But if I did need it, I'm glad I got it done. Yeah, I know where it is, just having trouble finding it online to order. Man if that's the problem I owe you big time. I hope to god I don't have a dead piston or pump.

Quick Reply: Power Loss, Higher Egt's, Boost fine, Low idle