12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Will injectors help me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will injectors help me?

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 96 2500 cummins automatic and I have a few questions. I took my truck to a buddies diesel shop and he installed laser cuts,#0 fuel plate, gutted the afc, bumped the timing to 17* and blocked the waste gate off. It will smoke from a stop and if she has a load on it, and the power difference is incredible from what stock was, but I still crave more after driving my bombed 06 duramax so long. Will I gain much from a set of injectors? If I were to add a set of cheap 370s that I have in my garage how much of an increase am I going to see, So is it just going to put the fire out and smoke alot?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Btw the trans is fresh with a triple disk and a aftermarket valve body.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being that dark smoke is unburnt fuel, and your air/fuel ratio is pretty rich since you already said that you blow smoke, yes adding more fuel will give you more smoke and potentially more power. I do hope you have an EGT gauge. Instead of the injectors right now put a 4k gov spring kit in and that should make you more happy.

If you want to add fuel, you'll need to consider adding air as well. The stock charger even with a blocked off wastegate most of the time doesn't spin to fast with the factory gov springs. But if your wastegate is still blocked after a 4k gov kit you might want to consider buying a boost gauge as well because with that set up without a functional wastegate you can over spin the stock charger and blow it.

Setting the pump at 17* is also pushing your factory head bolts with holdng the cylinder pressure so I'd watch what you are adding power wise until you install some head studs.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=AMS247;1027852Being that dark smoke is unburnt fuel, and your air/fuel ratio is pretty rich since you already said that you blow smoke, yes adding more fuel will give you more smoke and potentially more power. I do hope you have an EGT gauge. Instead of the injectors right now put a 4k gov spring kit in and that should make you more happy.

If you want to add fuel, you'll need to consider adding air as well. The stock charger even with a blocked off wastegate most of the time doesn't spin to fast with the factory gov springs. But if your wastegate is still blocked after a 4k gov kit you might want to consider buying a boost gauge as well because with that set up without a functional wastegate you can over spin the stock charger and blow it.

Setting the pump at 17* is also pushing your factory head bolts with holdng the cylinder pressure so I'd watch what you are adding power wise until you install some head studs.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to say that I have boost/pyro/tranny gauges already. I've looked at the government spring. Do I really need the 4k or will a 3k be adequate for me.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
I forgot to say that I have boost/pyro/tranny gauges already. I've looked at the government spring. Do I really need the 4k or will a 3k be adequate for me.
Personal preference. Most do 4k even if they don't intend to rev that high just because the throttle response is more sensitive, in a good way. You can do 3k and it will still make a difference. The 4k kit has 1 extra spring compared to the 3k so you could always buy the 4k and just not install the last spring to have a 3k gov, but atleast you can always throw it in. If you do install the 4k, just be aware you'll need to upgrade other things to rev past 3,200 reliably.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Get studs before going any further .... I had to learn just how easy it was to pop the HG ..... now I need studs, o rings, milled rocker pedestals ...... gonna just buy a new head also ... e bay , a bare head is like $369 .. not a bad deal

Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Get the 3000 springs for right now and you'll do fine, you can upgrade later down the road.
4x4manonbroke is right, get studs first, he easily popped his head gasket.
Another question, is your killer dowel pin dealt with??
Now that you've added more fuel you really need to think about your air flow, what are your egt's showing?
And you should fill out your signature so we know what you've done to your motor and truck.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes 3000k springs with head studs and 370s would add power but with lots of smoke if you have the money just by injectors with the correct spray patter

Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Diesel Bomber

370's re not a good option...... real hot and real smokey ..... get a set of 5 12's or 14's depending on ur DV's .... larger dv's means u can run a bigger inj.

This all depends on what pump u have and if you can get the HP of the tag that would be helpful in giving you the best advise .... your gonna need a small mirror to get the pump numbers ... this will help to get the correct Dv size .. if it's stock

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

John, he's got a 12valve with the p7100 like ours.
He has an auto so he has the 180 pump like mine john.
Before dropping injectors in, i'd like to know what his egt's are at then go from there.
If he's smoking,even from a stop. His egt's may be to high, he may need to turn his fueling down a little.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Diesel Bomber

True..... could be smoke screw it just out too far , might try turning star wheel toward the fender a bit and back smoke screw up a bit .... should help ...... and yeah I would like to know just how Hot were talkin ... ?

Quick Reply: Will injectors help me?