12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12v Slow acceleration, Excessive, smoke Low idle, more whipple

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Slow acceleration, Excessive, smoke Low idle, more whipple

uI have a 98 12v. Boost elbow (kept below 35psi), 4kgsk, #0plate, 4 clicks, gauges. Recently myu is having the issue of slow acceleration from the line, lots of smoke, and low idle both in and out of gear. I recently had the fuel filter and oil changed and a valve adjustment done. It ran great, but I drove about 100kmi and now it is doing this. It idles at about 7200rpm in gear and 65000 in Neutral. It also whipples alot easier than it used to when I let off of the pedal. I know this is too low and it started doing all of this at the same time. I have heard it could be boost leak, and I also though Torque converter, but TC wouldn't affect neutral idle. Also its not the air filter either. Please help as I am traveling on the road now, thanks!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

when were the govoner springs installed. this can cause problems. what is your fuel pressure what condition is your turbo in. charge air cooler leaks? are you still making 35lbs of boost?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by turbo2332
when were the govoner springs installed. this can cause problems. what is your fuel pressure what condition is your turbo in. charge air cooler leaks? are you still making 35lbs of boost?
I installed the GVSK about 3 months ago. Took it to a diesel shop to double check my work, all they did was adjust the idle up. Fuel pressure gauge doesnt work right now so I do not know. I haven't tested for any leaks yet. I haven't got a chance to get on the highway and really punch it to see if it is still making 35psi. The turbo is stock with 268k miles on it. Also its only been 1k not 100k sense all this work was done. That is a typo.

Last edited by Thelast12v; 08-20-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Diesel Bomber

gotta do some tests bud. and please get a working gauge on your fuel pressure before you kill the pump. heavy black smoke and slow acceleration could very easily be a boost leak. check all silicon hoses. most often the boot from the charge pipe AT the intercooler pops first. check your turbo out. then check your intercooler for leaks.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Diesel Fan

gotta do some tests bud. and please get a working gauge on your fuel pressure before you kill the pump. heavy black smoke and slow acceleration could very easily be a boost leak. check all silicon hoses. most often the boot from the charge pipe AT the intercooler pops first. check your turbo out. then check your intercooler for leaks.
I'll do that when I get back home, guess I'll just have to drive careful. Everyone I talked to told me I didn't need to worry about fuel pressure, I guess I need to fix that. Would a boost leek affect the idle rpm even out of gear?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

absolutly not. you can take the turbo all the intake grid heater ect off and it will idle like brand new. idle quality has something to do with your pump. and the people you have been talking to OBVIOUSLY dont have their money invested in this truck or they would have advised differently. fuel preessure not only feeds the pump but it cools and lubricates it, if you dont have enough, plungers eat themselfs. and a stock pump with 268k on it is wore out.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Diesel Fan

absolutly not. you can take the turbo all the intake grid heater ect off and it will idle like brand new. idle quality has something to do with your pump. and the people you have been talking to OBVIOUSLY dont have their money invested in this truck or they would have advised differently
When I took it into the shop for the "tune up" they told my my throttle linkage was a little rusty and junky so it could be that it has loosened up again. I just hope to god its not a compression issue.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

your IP is benched to have X start fuel. a loose linkage will have absolutely no effect on this adjustment. the start fuel linkage is adjusted on the back of the pump with a 10mm wrench. adjusted wrong and it will have to have a bit of go pedal to fire but once fired will not typically effect idling. idle should be aroung 850, you can turn the 10mm stop up a pit and see it that helps. once it starts hard go back the other way. does it spit and crack at you in neutral when you rev it up? if so low fuel pressure look at you lift pump and OFV.

Last edited by turbo2332; 08-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Diesel Fan

your shop has questionable characters. you IP is benched to have X start fuel. a loose linkage will have absolutely no effect on this adjustment. the start fuel linkage is adjusted on the back of the pump with a 10mm wrench. adjusted wrong and it will have to have a bit of go pedal to fire but once fired will not effect idling. does it spit and crack at you in neutral when you rev it up? if so low fuel pressure look at you lift pump and OFV.
It doesn't stutter when I rev it at all. I had the idle adjusted once before and the idle went down when all this other stuff happened. If there was low fuel psi wouldn't there be less black smoke not more?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Diesel Bomber

yes, one thing at a time. if it doesnt shudder when you rev it up its probably not fuel pressure. check for large boost leaks. split hoses and such. the one i mentioned is common.that same hose can rub on the inner fender as well. givethe charger a good look see.

you said your are having issues with idle in gear and in N? going from P or N to D do you see any rpm drop? you should. is the trans shifting well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12v Slow acceleration, Excessive, smoke Low idle, more whipple