12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

First Time Diesel Owner, Have a Few Questions (No, not "how do I roll coal?")

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Time Diesel Owner, Have a Few Questions (No, not "how do I roll coal?")

Hey guys, so I've got myself a 1998 12 valve, 318,000kms, 5 speed standard, quite a few upgrades. A few to list are Schwitzer turbo, 4" turbo back exhaust, K&N cold air, 60 horse injectors, 35" Dick Cepek tires, and quite a few more "for looks" parts.

My goal with this truck is to take the best care of it possible and keep it nice and clean, and maybe do some upgrades along the way. I'm going to be driving plenty of miles on the highway and my objective, like some people, is not roll as much coal as possible. So some of my questions are:

1. What synthetic oils do you guys like to run? What do you recommend?
2. Is there anything I can expect to go wrong with this year of the truck or are there any parts that give out before others?
3. Is an after market KDP and Turbo Timer worth the investment?
4. What are some must have upgrades (in your opinion) other than the ones I already have?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

The 12v section is full of info. On the motor the kdp ( killer dowel pin) is the biggest concern. The trans has a problem with 5th gear backing off

Back from the forum grave

Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Diesel Fan

Ya I've been looking in the forums and find some interesting stuff but haven't found anything that are info on my exact questions above, just thought I'd put all my questions in one place. I've heard about the KDP and I think I'll invest the $120 or whatever it is, might as well, and I've already fixed the 5th gear issue just a few days actually. Thanks for your help! Anybody else's help is also appreciated!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these pickups run for ever with good maintance. one idea is head studs if you are wanting to spend the money. keeps the head gasket nice and happy

Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know all about synthetic oil but I run Cenpeco in my truck. all my fluids are Cenpeco. 15000 mile oil changes and really good ingridents. little expensive but definatly worth it. a few more upgrades if your wrench savy can be had tuning up the AFC. and a governer spring is always worth the money

Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

make a tab for the KDP your self.
gov springs are THE best bang for the buck
what size turbo is your fancy turbo? many many options. mods will be dependent on this
gauges pyro and boost fuel pressure is nice to have
a good lift pump is nice
a good air filter system is a plus

this game is all in what you want your truck to do for you.

welcome to the addiction (I figured there would be more trees in Canada?)

Last edited by turbo2332; 07-14-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Is there a thread on here already to show me how to make a tab so I don't have to ask you guys? This tab will just prevent the stock KDP from dropping instead of getting a whole new after market KDP is what it sounds like?

These 3K Gov springs here: Peak Diesel Governor Spring Kit 94-98 5.9L Dodge Cummins 12 Valve Would be what I want? Do I need any other beefier parts with it to make sure the higher RPMs won't affect any other parts?

Not too sure what size the turbo is to tell you the truth, I'm gonna look tomorrow and see.

I have pyro and boost, thought about getting a triple pod and adding fuel pressure too. Question on the pyro, when I go to shut down the truck I usually let it cool down to 400 or so, and leave the truck run for 30 seconds to a minute just to let everything cool down, is that an appropriate temperature and time?

A lift pump sounds like a good idea, efficiency and capability is my goal.

I've already got a K&N filter system, might look into a manifold though.

What do I want my truck to do? Have more than enough power and last me a long time, now what do I need it to do? Pull my horse trailer, which it is more than capable of now, but like you say, it is an addiction, and you can never stop upgrading.

If theres any good forums you guys know of that already explain my questions, and you don't wanna explain the answer again on here, just drop a link! And if you feel like explaining, even better!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

there is tons of info out there on these trucks. i would go 4k springs and with those you will need 60lbs valve springs to help prevent valve float. the KDP is a dowel pin right next to it inside the case is a bolt. this bold is taken out a tab is placed around this bolt that also covers the KDP and the bolt is then tightened back up. all that you are buying for $100 is a seal a gasket and an offset washer to cover the dowel pin. i made mine out of a door skin from an old derby car. you dont really need a lift pump till you start sucking the stock one dry. they are nice to have and you will notice a HP difference if you stocker is being taxed. an intake manifold is a conversation piece and just about it.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Thats a nice alta truck!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all the info guys!

Quick Reply: First Time Diesel Owner, Have a Few Questions (No, not "how do I roll coal?")