12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Melting headlight switches, relays, and HIDs

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Melting headlight switches, relays, and HIDs

So, I've been burning up headlight switches at a rate of about two per year. I always drove with my lights on, and I drive about 50K a year, so they get a lot of use. The Chrysler ones only last a few months longer than the NAPA ones, for twice the cost. Through my research here, I've gleaned that the solution is adding relays.
For some time, I've wanted to put in HIDs, but I've been waiting until I get the headlights squared away, thinking that I should gert them working as they should before I start modifying them further. Then I had a thought the other day, that perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone here.

My question, for those familiar with installing HIDs on these trucks, is: do the kits include relays for their operation? All I know is that they have special bulbs and ballasts, but if they come with relays as well, then upgrading to HIDs would solve the switch melting issue that's been plaguing me for years. Anyone know?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

Hm. Well, in other news, LMC truck sells an HD harness upgrade for $30 that is pretty much plug and play, and runs none of the power through the switch or even any of the factory wiring. Put it in today, problem solved, very nice piece. Highly recommended.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

There's a recall or tsb on the switch for a updated design with a rewired harness for the melting switch. There's also some talk about a updated harness with a relay from dodge that's very affordable. But I've not had to use anything like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Diesel Bomber

I looked into it, none of my local dealerships were able to come up with anything. At all. Lots of homework that went nowhere. Got tired of fighting with Dodge about it and went with this, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the product.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
I looked into it, none of my local dealerships were able to come up with anything. At all. Lots of homework that went nowhere. Got tired of fighting with Dodge about it and went with this, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the product.
I've got the part numbers I'll post Monday just in case someone else needs them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Search this Thread