12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

fuel shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel shutoff

i put a new starter on last year and got a used fss and a new relay and it worked for few months then the fss shorted out and pretty much burned up so i bought a brand new one last july and yesterday when i got home i smelled something burning and the top of the fss was melting like the rubber on it. And i tried starting it but it didnt work but u could manually pick it up and it would stay but it wont lasts for long i know. i tried doing the pull cable but i couldnt get the truck to shut off so i read about the starter contacts maybe be worn down causeing the fss to burn up? idk if mine are considering i bought a brand new one last year? idk what else would cause the fss' to continue to burn up.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know whats going on with my truck??

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know. Is it possible, somehow, that you've got the wires for the FSS backwards? That solenoid has two coils in it. One is "Pull Open", and that one receives power ONLY when the starter is engaged. The other is "Hold Open", and receives power when the ignition switch is "on". The Pull Open coil isn't intended to double as a hold-open. If it stays energized too long it'll overheat and fail.

Even if they're not backwards, make sure that the pull-open feed hasn't been rerouted to "ignition on", and is, indeed wired to the starter solenoid, like it's supposed to be.

If you give up on the electricals, and go back to the pull-cable, you can put a spring (someone mentioned the one from the toilet-paper holder) on the linkage to push the valve-lever shut when you unlock your pull-cable. A regular, cheapie choke cable won't really serve you very well. It'll pull open fine, but be too flimsy for a push-closed. You need a spring to close, and a locking **** to hold it open. Found mine at Pep Boys, from that Dorcy company that makes so many repair parts.