12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

questions about the rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about the rear main seal

My rear main is really squirting out some oil and i keep markin my territory wherever i go, and friends in neighborhoods dont like the stains on their driveways. Lol. My question is, (If youve done this procedure before) where did you buy your seal kit and how much was it? Ive heard numerous times to buy a Cummins part and not Fel-Pro or any other, which makes sense.

I thought about since im under there i would replace the oil pan gasket as well, but ive heard that you have to lift the front of the engine to make enough room todo so. Do you just simply put a jack under the front of the engine and jack it up and theres enough movement of the engine mounts to get the pan out or do you have to loosen the mounts?

Ive never done either of these on a Cummins so any advice would be appreciated!
THanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan

I put in the rear main when I did my clutch, it was a felpro, 10,000 miles on it so far no leaks, got the kit at Oreily's. As for the oil pan, pick the engine up with a engine hoist, loosen the motor mounts, they are easy enough to get to. but if you can let the truck sit for a day with the oil drained out of the pan, it will make much less of a mess when you take the pan off, because everything will have time to drip and it wont be raining oil on your face and arms when you are replacing the gasket

Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by senotext
I put in the rear main when I did my clutch, it was a felpro, 10,000 miles on it so far no leaks, got the kit at Oreily's. As for the oil pan, pick the engine up with a engine hoist, loosen the motor mounts, they are easy enough to get to. but if you can let the truck sit for a day with the oil drained out of the pan, it will make much less of a mess when you take the pan off, because everything will have time to drip and it wont be raining oil on your face and arms when you are replacing the gasket
Thanks Bud! i wanted to do the seal when i needed a clutch but i cant keep spending money on oil like i am, a gallon every 2 months or so, its really bad. It probably could use a timing cover gasket, any clue on what kind of adventure that might be?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Diesel Fan

The timing cover is pretty easy if you take the fan and shroud off, I did mine when I fixed my kdp, used felpro on that too, came with a new cover seal and the front crank seal. It's pretty straight forward, but removing the fan and shroud gives you a lot more room.