Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Are flatbeds hard on the body mounts? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/103663-flatbeds-hard-body-mounts.html)

Truck Guy99 10-12-2012 12:56 PM

Are flatbeds hard on the body mounts?

I have heard some people say putting a flatbed with a built in gooseneck ball on a truck and towing a good sized gooseneck can stress the frame and bed mounts more than usual even if the truck is rated for it. Is this true?? I want to put a flatbed on a second gen I want to buy. I have seen some people cut out the recessed ball in the bed.and put a plate underneath the flatbed in it's place. Is it something I should do just in case? My grandfather has a few old farm trucks that have not run in a while and he would probably give me one of the gooseneck plates in them.

Truck Guy99 10-15-2012 01:27 PM

Anybody? Share your thoughts or opinions even if yer just spitballing. Ya might point out something useful!!

Sudia247 10-15-2012 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99 (Post 948244)
I have heard some people say putting a flatbed with a built in gooseneck ball on a truck and towing a good sized gooseneck can stress the frame and bed mounts more than usual even if the truck is rated for it. Is this true?? I want to put a flatbed on a second gen I want to buy. I have seen some people cut out the recessed ball in the bed.and put a plate underneath the flatbed in it's place. Is it something I should do just in case? My grandfather has a few old farm trucks that have not run in a while and he would probably give me one of the gooseneck plates in them.

I have no fact to back up my reasoning, but I would think that a plate in the frame, separate from the bed is the best bet. Just like how the bolt on applications are. My reasoning would be because if it was attached the the flat bed, which would be bolted on four of the frame posts and the rear half on th frame directly, (unless fabricated yourself in a different approach for the bed mounts) that would create more leverage for flex in the frame, which could lead to bad stress on the mounts. But with a plate under the bed like the bolt on applications, the plate is bolted to the sides and top of the frame, creating a strut, increasing frame rigidness, along with being a more stable mount. I would go with the plate on the frame if it was my truck, or fabricate them both in the same application. :c:

Truck Guy99 10-15-2012 08:20 PM

Sudia247, you hit the nail on the head on this one. That's exactly what I was thinking! I was thinking that it could cause cracking from fatigue on the tail of the frame.Does anyone agree or disagree with us on that?

1999stroker 10-15-2012 08:45 PM

Did you ever get a truck? Truck guy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD 10-15-2012 09:04 PM

I think yall are right. But I also think it would take alot of weight or extreme conditions to tweek it that much.

Truck Guy99 10-15-2012 09:57 PM

I actually just got a job at an exotic game ranch about a 1 mile long walk from home and every dime goes to a savings aka a peanut jar with a slot in the lid. I do want a 1st or 2nd generation dodge because I want to keep my first ride forever and I know the mighty cummins is up to the task. I want a flatbed because I want a nice flat surface to work off of that won't burst a fender every 6 months or so and I want to haul hay without worrying about crushing a bed side with a gooseneck or bending the bed rail strapping in stuff. I also like the look of a flatbed truck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD, I meant something that happens over time, not ""Hook it to my 8000 pound gooseneck and it rips off" kinda thing.

lengelhardt 10-15-2012 10:13 PM

me and my dad have flatbeds and also sell and install flatbeds. When we mount them if we are going to use it alot for pulling we put 4 mounts on each side and have never had a problem and are pulling hauling heavy loads all the time with ours.(cows and farm equipment) Im beleive the more mounts the better of your are. The flatbed also spreads the weight through the whole frame instead of just the center

Truck Guy99 10-15-2012 11:30 PM

So your saying it may actually cushion the stress if it has the extra mounts? The flat beds I am looking at are not ones im ordering,, one is at a junkyard and one is at a used equipment yard. So unless I get lucky, they probably won't have the extra mounts. Should I just whack the built in one and add the plate while I already have the bed off?

RanchhandTCR 10-16-2012 12:01 AM

Weve had flat beds with the built in goosenecks Ive pulled 230000 pounds with ours many times, I didnt go very fast though but they have help up...